Why does tea taste better in certain mugs?

If you want a proper answer, taste is closely related to smell. Tea, similar to wine will taste different out of differently shaped drinking vessels. Different shapes and volumes will affect the aroma and the flow of the steam and the experience of putting your face close to the liquid to drink.

The colour of the mug must be some kind of psycologial effect. It makes no sense that a different colour could afect the taste. Although a different material will affect the experience because of the differences in heat transfer between the cup and your face.

I have a problem with the cup colour. We bought some lovely cups in about 10 colours from John Lewis.

Tea in the one that is the same colour as an old ladies anorack (i.e. lavendar) is awful, bordering on poisonous.

The colour on the outside doesn't bother me too much, but the inside of the cup MUST be white or the is tea just WRONG. All those who say cups should be wider at the top are also completely correct and stoneware is out. Not that I'm fussy about tea <twitch>

If you want a proper answer, taste is closely related to smell. Tea, similar to wine will taste different out of differently shaped drinking vessels. Different shapes and volumes will affect the aroma and the flow of the steam and the experience of putting your face close to the liquid to drink.

The colour of the mug must be some kind of psycologial effect. It makes no sense that a different colour could afect the taste. Although a different material will affect the experience because of the differences in heat transfer between the cup and your face.

Thank you, I genuinely am interested as I have thought this for years now.

You must be a tea connoisseur. :)

The colour on the outside doesn't bother me too much, but the inside of the cup MUST be white or the is tea just WRONG. All those who say cups should be wider at the top are also completely correct and stoneware is out. Not that I'm fussy about tea <twitch>

I knew it! :D

I have a favourite cup for my tea. It's China, white inside, and with a pink pattern on the outside. The logo on it says something about shoe shopping.

My late brother in law used to have a pint-pot, from which he drank his tea. He insisted it not be washed (weshed!)

It used to build up and build up the tea stains inside it. It used to make me feel :gag: it looked horrible.

I absolutely can't stand drinking from stained pots, and, now and again, I'd try and sneak it from him, and give it a sandblasting to get the muck off the inside. (Blech! :gag: Blech!) It was difficult as he knew what I'd do if I got my hands on his pint-pot, so would guard it with his life.

If I did sneak it away, and scour it out, he'd go absolutely bananas about it, and play merry hell. he'd say "The stinking tea just doesn't taste right, now!!! The stains added a bit of flavour!"

UGH! :gag:

ps, sometimes in the city centre I'll order a pot of tea from certain cafés or restaurants, and the tea tastes dreadful, like there's still some of that industrial cleaner in the pipes of the machine that heats the water (you know the stuff:- stinks like Harpic!) It's horrible, and a real let down, as I love my cup of tea.

Archived