David cameron - big society

Its the Cameronian equivalent of Blair's 'Third Way', i.e. a political gimmick to bamboozle people that something radically new is being offered. I suspect that it will go the same way as the 'Third Way', i.e. into oblivion very quickly.

I agree - it's shifting responsibility from the government to the very people who are suffering most under the cuts

Alternatively it is empowering them by trusting them to make their own decisions.

Once they make their own decisions, how do they enforce them?

I need examples as I don't know how they can change council policies for instance, if they want :confused:

Examples like this?

Villagers in England will be able to build homes without seeking council planning permission under David Cameron’s “Big Society” plans.

The Right to Build initiative aims to provide small numbers of affordable homes in rural areas where high house prices are driving people away.

Under the plan villages would be able to form local housing trusts, and hold a referendum to decide if house building should go ahead.

Even the Daily Hate has seen through it all:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1356690/Camerons-Big-Society-just-spin-nobs-on.html

David Cameron is to relaunch his Big Society idea. It is said there’s some confusion about its aims. But it’s not confusion — it’s simply justified doubt.

Saying the Government should do more to encourage charity and voluntary work is a statement of the blindingly obvious. And calling it the Big Society seems to be a mendacious attempt by Cameron to brand a long-established practice as his own.

The poor are not fooled. They know voluntary work in their communities is often the price paid by the well-off to preserve the status quo.

Listen to Francis Maude get skewered:

http://audioboo.fm/boos/155599-eddie-mair-putting-francis-maude-on-the-spot-what-volunteering-do-you-do

Like the people on the dole do?

Suppose you give the people on the dole the option of labour in a food factory and food vouchers for a year as payment for the amount of labour required to produce the average amount of food per person/family unit. (required per year)

How much labour should secure a single person a years food supply?

Or even better, we could have some form of conscription in the agricultural industry rather than the army that entitles people to a lifetimes food supply.

Edited by chem1st
(required per year) added.