David cameron - big society

Where are the advocates of the Big Society when you need them?

Hmmm indeed.

I'm shortly to be an ex volunteer with SOVA (Supporting Others through Voluntary Action) ...

I regret to inform you our contract to provide a mentoring service to Sheffield YOS will end on March 31. I have been informed the decision to discontinue the service has been taken because of the recent cuts in funding for local authorities and is in no way a reflection on the efforts and commitment of staff and volunteers involved with the mentoring scheme over the past six years.

Now if only I had the time not just to mentor a young person, but to set up an alternative organisation, pitch for the contract with YOS, provide training, recruit other volunteers etc.

It's not going to happen is it?

And I suspect a lot of other current activities, which could be considered to be "Big Society" in nature will also cease.

Voluntary organisations may depend upon people giving their time for free, but to exist as organisations they need resources. Money. Without that Cameron's ideas of "Big Society" are doomed.

I'm surprised that supporters of the coalition on this forum didn't point out the above link on the recent thread regarding the shocking news that the Labour Party recieves most of it's funding from individual trade unionists.

Are you looking at this seriously?

There is no money to pay for the librarian! It's either just sack and close, or... The Big Society!

Actually, there exists an extremely large pot of cash with which to pay for all of our public services, free education, and even many, many librarians! It's just that the ConDems truly believe that unelected EU bureaucrats are much more deserving of our £billions of tax money than us!

The ConDems - a twisted abhorrence if ever there was one - also believe that giving £billions away in foreign aid is much better than having British workers in British jobs. The UK government is currently giving away over £1 billion in hard earned taxes to India - a country with 69 £billionaires (we have 29).

India also spends £23 billion on defence, has nuclear weapons, a space programme and even a foreign aid programme of its own.

...The UK government is currently giving away over £1 billion in hard earned taxes to India - a country with 69 £billionaires (we have 29).

India also spends £23 billion on defence, has nuclear weapons, a space programme and even a foreign aid programme of its own.

Why do we give it to them?

Is it part of a contract?

David Cameron and Nick Clegg want the Indian government to have over £1 billion of British tax payers money in international development aid because they feel that India does not spend enough on its military might.

I'm not seeing anything to do with the military!

This is also over 4 years. Also they have stopped two other payments to other much less needy countries, one must ask why were we paying in the first place to those two!

The coalition Government has announced that British aid to Russia and China will end. India is different.

http://news.in.msn.com/international/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4923320

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1357056/Britains-1bn-aid-India-nation-3-times-billionaires-have.html

Hmmm indeed.

I'm shortly to be an ex volunteer with SOVA (Supporting Others through Voluntary Action) ...

I regret to inform you our contract to provide a mentoring service to Sheffield YOS will end on March 31. I have been informed the decision to discontinue the service has been taken because of the recent cuts in funding for local authorities and is in no way a reflection on the efforts and commitment of staff and volunteers involved with the mentoring scheme over the past six years.

Now if only I had the time not just to mentor a young person, but to set up an alternative organisation, pitch for the contract with YOS, provide training, recruit other volunteers etc.

It's not going to happen is it?

And I suspect a lot of other current activities, which could be considered to be "Big Society" in nature will also cease.

Voluntary organisations may depend upon people giving their time for free, but to exist as organisations they need resources. Money. Without that Cameron's ideas of "Big Society" are doomed.

:o SOVA is closing? that's bad. they do some brilliant work. looks like everywhere it's "right, gentlemen, and ladies, we want you to volunteer more and participate in your community. so, we're going to shut all community centers and stop funding to volunteer organizations. thank you. good bye."

Actually, there exists an extremely large pot of cash with which to pay for all of our public services, free education, and even many, many librarians! It's just that the ConDems truly believe that unelected EU bureaucrats are much more deserving of our £billions of tax money than us!

The ConDems - a twisted abhorrence if ever there was one - also believe that giving £billions away in foreign aid is much better than having British workers in British jobs. The UK government is currently giving away over £1 billion in hard earned taxes to India - a country with 69 £billionaires (we have 29).

Of course this was all different under Labour wasn't it...?