David cameron - big society

It isn't political. All the parties know that this must be done.

Do you realise what this means?

It is a population graph. May I prod you to rush to the point? :)

Of course you may. It is what is dictating all our futures.

There are less young people than older people. In ten to twenty years time there will be less workers than those who have retired and there will be fewer taxpayers but their tax burden will be higher.

There is no choice but to reduce the size of the state and our reliance on it. We have to take responsibility for each other. Big Society (or whatever you call it) is the future because there is simply no alternative - the graph proves it.

people already volunteer and run community centers etc. this is nothing new or 'big society-ey' about it. the new thing, from how i understand it is taking away all the money that allows people to volunteer in the first place. if the rent, bills, supplies etc money is taken away you can get all the volunteers you want but that's not going to help. unless people volunteer time, and money too.

The big society is merely the opposite of the big government/state.

Labour spent 13 years building up a massive unproductive welfare system/state and it is largely thanks to this we have almost become a nation of back-seat drivers; instead, we need to roll back the state, snap people out of a life of benefits, and encourage entrepreneurialism.

Just out of interest, could you let us know what unpaid work you do?

I see it as blatant hypocrisy. How much volunteering are politicians going to do? They're the ones with their hands in the pot more than anyone else. When they buy their own floating duck houses I might have some time for the idea.

Some do, most don't - bit like the rest of us.

There was a very funny interview with Francis Maude, the Cabinet Minister with responsibility for the Big Society, on Radio 4 a few months ago. The interviewer asked him what volunteering he did. The fool couldn't answer.

Nope, more to do with that it fit's in conveniently with the Cons idealogy of a small state.

Precisely, the whole of the Government's ideological neo-con agenda is about pushing for a smaller state. Why can't they be honest about it, rather than wrapping it up in talk of big society and defecit reduction?