When do you tip?

Venkman

Claret has made a very good point. On the flip side, I often get chased around to be given money. People don't like leaving it on the table incase it gets swiped. I'm never offended, its received very well indeed :)

Think I need to get over it then!

I very rarely eat in places where this situation would arise, but next time I'll offer to buy the waiter/ress a drink and give them the tip. That deals with the awkward money issue!

Definitely not suggesting anyone should ever tip in advance of being served. But if you paid in advance for your meal, would that in itself stop anyone leaving a quid or so on the table at the end?

EDIT: Ah, just read Claret's post. That answers that then :)

It'd stop me. And I usually add around 10% if paying at the end of a meal (rounded up or down to the nearest £).

I don't tip if the service is bad.

Well, I've left 1p sarcastically on occasion.

I have commented on this many times before! But will still add my bit.....

I am not sure how true it is but I had heard TIPS came from the acronym To Insure Proper Service and originally came at the beginning of a meal to do just that.

I fully believe in tipping having had a job that previously relied on it. Waiters/Waitresses soon make a lot more effort when your enjoyment is linked to their pay, as opposed to the often 'I don't care, I still get paid' attitude.

Depending on my mood I have done it before, but next time you are out if you think your bill is going to be £50 give the waitress a fiver as soon as you sit down and see how much more attentive they are, this also works when buying bartenders a drink on your first round. Fully worth it for the added service it brings.

Ha, good question! I think it's an awkward thing for a lot of Brits if it's not an obvious tipping-kind-of-place (if that makes sense!) whereas in somewhere like the US it's just teh done thing. Not too sure in what way you can make people start tipping though, I generally think if it's a sit down meal in a restaraunt (not a pub lunch) then I'll tip. Unless the waiter/waitress is particularly unpleasant then the type of service doesn't make a massive different to the amount

Archived