In flight movie charges Thomas Cook

I have just returned from a Thomas Cook holiday to Tenerife. It's a 4 hour flight so we went equiped with the various sets of headphones we have accumulated over the years.

We were amazed to find out they were useless. To be able to watch or listen to any inflight entertainment, passengers were obliged to fork out £ 7.50 each to hire a PSP.

Is this now common on holiday flights?

low cost carriers, if they offer any kind of in-flight entertainment at all, will always charge for it just like they will for food and drinks.

what's happening is that full-service airlines are now copying low-cost carriers in a bid to cut their costs. I was on an Ethihad flight last week, they are a full service national 'flagship' airline, and they're just being a lot tighter with the food and drinks than they were a few years ago.

Not flown with an airline of the type that Thomas Cook would come under for a good number of years but i see this as common place with that sort of an airline, ie low cost / charter airline. Charge you for every little extra, luggage, meals, airport check in and now even inflight entertainment.

Archived