Rivelin valley restoration

bullerboY

I noticed on a previous thread about the restoration of shepherd wheel,well what about the restoration of Rivelin Valley,this area is a lost opportunity for Sheffield's tourist trade.When I was a lot younger this area was a wonderland,now over the years with various councils in control it has suffered more than serious neglect.Yes there has been a small amount of restoration but alas nowhere near enough.This beautiful valley could with foresight have brought millions of pounds into Sheffield and given a lot of pleasure and understanding of how Sheffield industry was created.When oh when are we going to get a council which is proud of our heritage instead of the ones who seem intent on wiping this city clean of its past.I see in Shepherd wheel they are building an education centre,well rivelin would have been the best with all its flora and fauna and wildlife.many years ago most of the ponds were dredged using steam traction engines but have consequently been allowed to silt up to the point of being virtually invisible.Somebody somewhere must know of ways to obtain funding for a project of restoration or should I believe no one cares.

You're dead right there bullerboy, it is possibly the oldest industrial area in Sheffield. When I was a kid there was still the odd building standing and certainly things like wheels and troughs were still there, even though in disrepair. This especially applied to the area of the round dam which I believe was in use up to 1936. Over the years everthing has been sanitised out of existence so I'm not sure there's much left to restore.

You're dead right there bullerboy, it is possibly the oldest industrial area in Sheffield. When I was a kid there was still the odd building standing and certainly things like wheels and troughs were still there, even though in disrepair. This especially applied to the area of the round dam which I believe was in use up to 1936. Over the years everthing has been sanitised out of existence so I'm not sure there's much left to restore.

When I was young the pond below the paddling pool was working,I know because when I first went there it was in the middle of a big storm and my pals abandoned me so I followed the river down from the s bend and the workmen took me in to dry and took me to the bus stop to catch the bus to the Forum and gave me the penny fare.I must have been six at the time so that would be 1948.Since then I could never keep away,even though I live in Rotherham now I still go back every week.

Archived