Advice required: Skoda delays

Jon26

My Dad ordered an Octavia last September, he was told the delivery would be mid January or maybe beginning of Feb. He's now been told (after chasing the dealer) that it will be mid April!

Does anyone have any tips of anything we could do to speed them up?

Demand for octavias is very high so there is a long waiting list. The dealer is unlikely to be able to do much as the factory can only produce so many cars.

However he could ask that they provide him with a different vehicle to use in the meantime. If he is part exchanging his old car he should get the price agreed for that if done now, not in 2 months (which might be lower reflecting less mot, more miles or whatever). And if I was him I'd be asking for some of compensation for him doing the chasing rather than being told be them, something like the first service free or similar (he won't get a huge amount but it all helps).

• 7 months later...

Hi, I ordered my skoda in march and still awaiting delivery now. The dealership is being extremely unhelpful and more at pains to blame it on skoda than offer any support and their main response (from manager and salesman) is to tell me that they're here to make money rather than be customer focussed. Would welcome any advice from others who have had similar - positive or negative - experiences.

I think that part of the issue with cars at the moment is that, for instance, some parts for almost all of the automatic gearboxes of production cars are made in Japan, but the factories that make these parts were damaged or destroyed during the earthquake and ensuing tsunami that hit Japan earlier on in the year.

I'm looking around for a new car at the moment and have been told by every dealer that there will be delays surrounding the new cars because there is a world shortage of parts for automatic gearboxes (and because of my gammy arm I no longer have the option of buying a manual instead!).

I'm surprised that the dealership have been so offhand with you actually- it's not a very helpful response and does nothing to make you feel more likely to trust them or buy from them in future. Have you contacted Skoda UK to discuss the problem you're having with them?

Archived