Ban on mephedrone "a failure".

It's a vicious circle isn't it. The government hope to stop the use of drugs by banning them but as you say it does not deter addicts.

The ban also does not stop some people starting on them and becoming addicted.

Only a tiny percentage of drug users are addicts, just as only a tiny percentage of alcohol users are alcoholics.

By far the most commonly used illegal drug is the non-addictive cannabis.

But whatever views anyone has on the rights or wrongs of the legislation the fact is that it is illegal.

Does repeating that it's illegal help in a discussion about why making a specific drug illegal was a) pointless and b) wrong help? Or is it just circular.

Prohibition routinely fails, wastes money and police resources and in many cases is inappropriate anyway.

If that's the plan, it's failed spectacularly, less than 1% of imported heroin is detected and seized by the authorities.

Anyone in Britain, anywhere in Britain including the summit of Ben Nevis, could order and get delivered any amount of any drug they wanted with a simple telephone call.

Is there cannabis, or any other illicit substance in your system when you are cycling on public roads? - presuming that is that you do take these substances; I've asked you twice but you seem a bit coy.

You want to ban drugs that damage children?? Simple - ban alchohol & tobacco to start with, these do more damage! It reminds me a few years ago when you could smoke in pubs, I was having chat about drugs with friends and someone overheard; started lecturing us about the dangers of drugs...with a pint of beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

I agree with you that tobacco should be banned now that the health risks associated with it have been identified. It is digraceful that the government bans smoking in certain places, has warnings printed on cigarette packets and then takes tax from them.

Also the abuse of alcohol should be clamped down on as it was years ago. The police used to make unexpected visits to pubs to check on the age of young drinkers and behaviour of the customers. Also people were arrested and prosecuted for being drunk if it was at an unacceptable level or because of their behaviour.

If that's the plan, it's failed spectacularly, less than 1% of imported heroin is detected and seized by the authorities.

Anyone in Britain, anywhere in Britain including the summit of Ben Nevis, could order and get delivered any amount of any drug they wanted with a simple telephone call.

This identifies a massive failing by the police service.

It's working for me, my profit has doubled.

Sure, banning anything there is a demand for simply places the trade in the hands of criminals (not you, obv).

Taking Ecstasy is demonstrably safer than riding a horse, the ban has failed whichever way you look at it.

Besides, if the concern is over young people "ruining their lives", what on earth does a drugs conviction do to their chances of gainful employment?

And if you say "If they choose to do something risky it's their fault!" then the same argument would apply to banning mountaineering or horse riding.

Does repeating that it's illegal help in a discussion about why making a specific drug illegal was a) pointless and b) wrong help? Or is it just circular.

Prohibition routinely fails, wastes money and police resources and in many cases is inappropriate anyway.

But that is a fact and not a viewpoint.

What I find hard to understand is that if banned drugs are harmless as some would say surely the government advisors would reach this conclusion.

But that is a fact and not a viewpoint.

What I find hard to understand is that if banned drugs are harmless as some would say surely the government advisors would reach this conclusion.

They aren't harmless. They are relatively harmless compared to other drugs and activities. The main reason I believe cannibis is illegal is because its easy to grow and therefore the tax revenue is likely to be minimal

Archived