Bronco Laynes Squirrel Cafe, 1960s

taylorspye

I'm not a football fan but I am pretty sure Bronco Lane was sacked for deliberately throwing matches for money.In fact I remember a couple of bikers coming in one night,getting out their fags and asking him if he sold matches.A rather ugly encounter developed as this was apparently a regular request.He deserved all he got.

I'm not a football fan but I am pretty sure Bronco Lane was sacked for deliberately throwing matches for money.In fact I remember a couple of bikers coming in one night,getting out their fags and asking him if he sold matches.A rather ugly encounter developed as this was apparently a regular request.He deserved all he got.

Good lad not a football fan, picking on blokes who are now in their eighties and are still around Sheffield ,they made a big mistake with the ten bob bets at the time ,now footballers take drugs, mow people down in super cars, commit sex offences and so on .They get away with it and are back on the pitch within a couple of months,some of em have even been seen on TV to be betting in hundreds of thousands no problem.

The three of them involved actually got sent to prison from memory. It ruined their careers & in some ways no doubt ruined their lives. David & Carol Layne where a very nice couple when they had the Squirrel, he always spoke to his customers both in the cafe & elsewhere. He never seemed bigheaded or on himself. It was dreadful when Carol was killed in a car accident when they were coming home from somewhere. Carol was a lovely lady & they had a young son Michael I think he was called. I agree with what someone said about today's footballers sports people, they get away with anything. I live in Australia & am ashamed of our disgraceful cricket team even though I don't follow cricket. How disgusting was the ball tampering...banned, forgiven & back in the game, no prison for those guys was there. Speak as you find & yes those guys made a big mistake, but I always found David Layne a very decent guy.

From what I have read, and heard, they only placed one bet on one match and that was it. I guess someone saw the bet being placed and assumed it was a regular habit.

They were not the only ones either in the investigation by the People newspaper, there were several other names and matches besides the fateful Wednesday v Ipswich game cited. Why our 3 players got the most severe sentences was probably, in my opinion, because they were all England Internationals.

O

They were not the only ones either in the investigation by the People newspaper, there were several other names and matches besides the fateful Wednesday v Ipswich game cited. Why our 3 players got the most severe sentences was probably, in my opinion, because they were all England Internationals.

Yes Mr.T. As you may know, the mastermind of that chicanery was former Everton player Jimmy Gauld who

o received the biggest sentence-4 years-. It wasn't just one game that Gauld had bets on but several over the years involving 33 players from other divisions, the Wednesday trio having the highest profiles...Oh...only Swan and Kay were internationals.

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 19:01 ----------

From what I have read, and heard, they only placed one bet on one match and that was it. I guess someone saw the bet being placed and assumed it was a regular habit.

It didn't work like that Mike, as in going to a betting shop and backing a horse but the Wednesday trio had a One ofc secret rendezvous at a Mansfield Town home game with instigator of it all, former Everton player Jimmy Gauld.

Edited by St Petre
Add

O

Yes Mr.T. As you may know, the mastermind of that chicanery was former Everton player Jimmy Gauld who

o received the biggest sentence-4 years-. It wasn't just one game that Gauld had bets on but several over the years involving 33 players from other divisions, the Wednesday trio having the highest profiles...Oh...only Swan and Kay were internationals.

---------- Post added 29-07-2018 at 19:01 ----------

It didn't work like that Mike, as in going to a betting shop and backing a horse but the Wednesday trio had a One ofc secret rendezvous at a Mansfield Town home game with instigator of it all, former Everton player Jimmy Gauld.

That is true nobody bet on football at the betting shops in those days. That was only done on the pools, even the fixed odds thing was run by them until William Hill got in on it. By the way, I truly thought Bronco had a cap, did he make the under 23s perhaps? Memories are getting cloudier daily lol.

The story was a two parter,with the Owls players bieng the appetizer,the 2nd part included some more prominent players.but the judge at the trial of the owls players banned Mike Gabbert of the sunday people from printing the rest,which really pished him off.The transcripts are available online.

Gabbert gauld and the owls trio never revealed the others IDs,one of whom went onto massive success with international honours AND became a highly acclaimed manager.

I used to go in Broncos cafe every home game as a kid,he had a nickname he called me as id walk through the door as Id always order the same pre match meal LOL,David and my dad were good friends from their younger days.

Swan and Layne didnt talk for a number of years,David had cracked under the pressure from the people,in hindsight all they had to do was ride out the storm,the peoples tactics wouldnt have stood up in a court today,and all 3 would have been aquited.

What really pished Pete Swan off was the westham v spurs scandal in the 90s where quite a few players bet on the the first throwin,and the players involved made sure the ball didnt go out for a throw untill the 43rd minute,which were pretty long odds.All the players involved got a wrap on the knuckles and had to repay the bookies involved

A few years ago I met Tony Kay @southport fcs ground in the social club,i told him a few things I knew at the bar and hurried me over to a corner table and told me to keep my voice down LOL,he shared some very funny stories and we chatted for about two hours.Pete and David rarely spoke to him.

Ron Springett was originally included in the draft article for the original story and only ommited at the 11th hour.

Edited by staninoodle

The story was a two parter,with the Owls players bieng the appetizer,the 2nd part included some more prominent players.but the judge at the trial of the owls players banned Mike Gabbert of the sunday people from printing the rest,which really pished him off.The transcripts are available online.

Gabbert gauld and the owls trio never revealed the others IDs,one of whom went onto massive success with international honours AND became a highly acclaimed manager.

I used to go in Broncos cafe every home game as a kid,he had a nickname he called me as id walk through the door as Id always order the same pre match meal LOL,David and my dad were good friends from their younger days.

Swan and Layne didnt talk for a number of years,David had cracked under the pressure from the people,in hindsight all they had to do was ride out the storm,the peoples tactics wouldnt have stood up in a court today,and all 3 would have been aquited.

What really pished Pete Swan off was the westham v spurs scandal in the 90s where quite a few players bet on the the first throwin,and the players involved made sure the ball didnt go out for a throw untill the 43rd minute,which were pretty long odds.All the players involved got a wrap on the knuckles and had to repay the bookies involved

A few years ago I met Tony Kay @southport fcs ground in the social club,i told him a few things I knew at the bar and hurried me over to a corner table and told me to keep my voice down LOL,he shared some very funny stories and we chatted for about two hours.Pete and David rarely spoke to him.

Ron Springett was originally included in the draft article for the original story and only ommited at the 11th hour.

Not to doubt your story of yourself but keeping the ball in play for 43 minutes is quite an achievement even in a top tier game !

Not to doubt your story of yourself but keeping the ball in play for 43 minutes is quite an achievement even in a top tier game !

Think you have to google it,or search the fan forums,it prompted Swan and Layne to have their case re heard

I was living in london at the time and i recall it well as it was covered by the evening standard,but got swept under the carpet

Edited by staninoodle