Nhs direct - waste of space ?

On all the occasions i've rung, I found them useful, glad too, most of those times were for other people who really didn't have a clue!

Yeah, but they want to know who you married last etc, before they actually tell you to go and see your Docter. And spend a fortune on some whack number.

I've found them quite helpful when I've used them. Some of my friends have told me when you have a small child and you're a first time parent they're invaluable.

Agreed. I have used them a fair bit, the person who first answers the phone is probably reading from a prompt, but then it is a Doctor or Nurse who rings you back.

As for asking for all your contact yt details and stuff, have you ever rung an ambulance? They ask loads of questions about who you are and your phone number before asking stuff like "is she breathing!!!"

Point is if they are there to serve such a wide range of the population why do the advisors not even have access to a Internet source !

But you do so why bother them for a phone number when you could look it up for youself ?:confused:

In answer to the thread title a big fat "no".... they quite literally saved a relatives live when they could get in to see their GP, the call handler recognised the severity of the symptoms and sent an ambulance preceeded by a doctor to the home .... within minutes from makign the call was on the way to hospital.

Fantastic when our little 'un was very little. When you have a baby for the first time, all sorts of things happen with them which you aren't sure are harmless or not. NHS Direct were very helpful, very reassuring and doubtless take loads of pressure off GPs.

Archived