What's the British/English Dream?

Britain used to be the spiritual home of the notion of fair play. An idea that said if you were winning by foul means, then you weren't really winning at all. Given that in your heart of hearts you would always know you had cheated and would therefore not really enjoy the true meaning of success.

How things have changed, these ideas now sound parochial and out of date. I personally feel that although Britain’s Imperial past casts a shadow over this ideal, it is still worth incorporating within my value system since I have found integrity to be the most consistent measure of a persons true success.

I see nothing wrong in that concept, in fact I would go as far as seeing it as a dream, so I'm probably in your minority. Expecting something for nothing is a different concept.

I've learnd that acquiring money is only a means to freedom, you can't consume yourself to happiness.

Yup i guess i should have phrased it a little differently. People who are efficient at what they do and can churn out in an hour what others take longer to do deserve to be paid more.

I was getting at the idea of people expecting something for nothing. Doing zero hours work and expecting payment for it. That seems to be the dream of more and more people these days.

Money can't make you happy, happiness is comprised of many different factors...money is but one of those factors.

Normally yes but I'm not sure I'd use that term to describe today's Jeremy Kyle generation.

I don't think they really do as little as possible for as much as possible though. They merely do the first half.

I do as little as possible work for the maximum amount of reward, which doesn't mean that I don't work, it just means that I balance how hard I work with the potential reward.

I always felt the British always had a strong sense of fairness over freedom.

Money can't make you happy, happiness is comprised of many different factors...money is but one of those factors.

I think you totally nailed it, bro.

I don't think they really do as little as possible for as much as possible though. They merely do the first half.

I do as little as possible work for the maximum amount of reward, which doesn't mean that I don't work, it just means that I balance how hard I work with the potential reward.

I dont know, having more kids just to get more social and a bigger house from the council's pretty ****ty in my opinion!

I'm exactly the same though, these days work/life balance is as important to a lot of people than actual success at work.

Archived