Buying a Mobile Phone in Britain..

Depends what you do with it.

pay as you go will give you loads of free mins to use in the UK, once they run out then yes, it might cost more but just get a deal that will give you enough. It's not much different to contract phones, if you are not using free minutes then it wil be expensive.

It might. And I seriously doubt that I'll be making many calls anyways.

Thanks.

But judging by the fact that the UK has MANY international students, I find it hard to believe that they make it hard for them to get a phone... You might understand that I'm slightly scared of getting a credit card because I'm rubbish at organizing money. And yes, I will get a student visa.

You dont need a credit card to build up credit history. Bank accounts help a lot and how you use yours will reflect against your credit history (going over your agreed overdraft is a bad thing, though as a student and having a student acct this might not be an issue for you) Again, just applying for a phone and being turned down will help your credit history being built as they can now see you on their systems. Wait 2 months and re-apply you will get a phone.

Its best to get a PAYG when you first get here, because the credit doesnt expire (I know in the US if you dont use your money within 30 days the sim card expires) When I first moved here, I used PAYG for about 18 months and then moved to a sim only contract (which, if I decide to cancel I only have to give 30 days notice and not buy my contract out) which Ive been on since 2007.

BTW Im only coming from the experience as moving from the US under birth right and not as a student. It took me about 9 months of being here before I was even able to get a bank account in Sheffield. I think it might be a bit easier for students to build up credit than it is for someone like myself.

You dont need a credit card to build up credit history. Bank accounts help a lot and how you use yours will reflect against your credit history (going over your agreed overdraft is a bad thing, though as a student and having a student acct this might not be an issue for you) Again, just applying for a phone and being turned down will help your credit history being built as they can now see you on their systems. Wait 2 months and re-apply you will get a phone.

Its best to get a PAYG when you first get here, because the credit doesnt expire (I know in the US if you dont use your money within 30 days the sim card expires) When I first moved here, I used PAYG for about 18 months and then moved to a sim only contract (which, if I decide to cancel I only have to give 30 days notice and not buy my contract out) which Ive been on since 2007.

BTW Im only coming from the experience as moving from the US under birth right and not as a student. It took me about 9 months of being here before I was even able to get a bank account in Sheffield. I think it might be a bit easier for students to build up credit than it is for someone like myself.

9 months? Wow.

Maybe I'll take your advice and go for the PAYG first, then maybe I can move onto a contract.

Yeah, but I think unis will help you set up a bank acct. You wont experience that stress (thankfully)

Really? Then that's good. But now I have to find out how I can pull all my money out of my account in Japan and pull it into the UK one...

Really? Then that's good. But now I have to find out how I can pull all my money out of my account in Japan and pull it into the UK one...

Ill text my friend. She came over from the States on a Student Visa and was at Hallam for 3 years. She has a UK acct and see if they help her set it up.

If cost is a primary consideration, Orange do a 12 month or 1 month contract SIM only with a cost of £10.21/month. (You get more minutes if you opt for 12 months).

http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/plans/simPlanList.jsp?cmsPageId=02510

You can then provide your own phone, although you'd probably need to buy it in the UK as Japan seems to have only a 3G network and phones sold there don't have GSM connectivity.

Ill text my friend. She came over from the States on a Student Visa and was at Hallam for 3 years. She has a UK acct and see if they help her set it up.

thank you :)

If cost is a primary consideration, Orange do a 12 month or 1 month contract SIM only with a cost of £10.21/month. (You get more minutes if you opt for 12 months).

http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phon...msPageId=02510

You can then provide your own phone, although you'd probably need to buy it in the UK as Japan seems to have only a 3G network and phones sold there don't have GSM connectivity.

That's correct, only iPhones have that capability here. Everything else is largely domestic.

• 1 month later...

There are lots of new phones coming in this year. Many companies are going to launch their latest updated phones. Like Motorola Xoom, Apple iphone 5, Motorola Atrix, Blackberry Playbook and many more. Apple is so costaly as we know. Rest Blackberry and Motorola are true value for money. I prefer Motorola Atrix or Xoom then Playbook. These two are good option for you if you are interested.

Archived