Can someone shed any light on this.

scribe

It depends how your book is structured. It sounds as if your style is quite linear. Do you plan how the story builds and develops.

My first thought though was, cliffhangers.

But some of my favourite books / writers, don't only use chapters but also pauses "***".

my technique, such as it is, is that i tend to have a a general story rattling around in my head.it tends to be just a character or two that take form and then start responding to situations i might find myself etc. i leave it there for a month or so. then i write short stories about the characters and then find that after six or seven short stories there is a general connection i then work on making them into a book. not sure this helps, but i've never managed to write a book, or short story 'from beginning to end.'

Perhaps it's worth finishing the novel, then sitting back and looking at the structure of the thing as a whole. There are lots of tips and tricks as to how to add suspense and keep a reading motivated (like shorter chapters nearer the end of the book) and perhaps it's worth looking at a book on structure if you're not sure.

I personally love Robert McKee's Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting - which you could always borrow from your local library (while you have one!) if you want.

Archived