Sharrow lane/ Highfields.

tony.p

Like myself PT lived in that area during the 1970s. I also remember the newsagent Called Mr Hunter who had a daughter called Elaine. The local bobby was called seargent fox who was in the newsagent shop a lot.

There was also a steeplejack on the same row of shops and a double fronted

asian continental grocer.

I remember At one end of Mount Pleasent road was a Mrs Baguleys shop and

the other end was the Fitzgerald family corner shop but as stated this was in the 1970s.

I remember Fitzie's shop very well. There was a bakery at number 2 (?) Mount Pleasant road, opposite them. The old chap who lived further down, near the Docking family, used to ask me to run an errand for him to the bakers, and fetch him a "small loaf, well-done".

I remember the Roses' off licence on the corner of Horner Road and Abbeydale road:- she always used to call us kiddies "Soss-pot"

There was a "junk shop" at the bottom of Crowther place, (on the section now demolished) and I remember the chap who ran it was very grumpy-looking, and made me think of Harold Wilson(!!!) lol.

Mr Hunter (Malcolm?) saved my baby sister's life when she was 9 months old. She had a weird episode where she stopped breathing, and she nearly died. he helped us and got Mrs Hunter to phone an ambulance for us while he came to assist my mum.

Hi Plain Talker and Greybeard, I was definitely referring to the newsagents on Abbeydale Rd. situated approximately opposite the top of Batt St. The newsagents near the end of Herschell Rd was run by the Silkcocks in my early days and I remember a Harry Taylor took it over in later years, he previously worked at the same place as me. The business took a nosedive when the tram and later bus stop which was outside the entrance to the shop was moved to the other side of Herschell Rd. as now. I lived on Herschell Rd. from 1937-60 and visited my mother and brother who remained there until the early 70s

Hi Greybeard, I think the book in the window was "Health and Efficiency", when I delivered morning papers a chap up South View Rd. had it delivered and I would have a squint before popping it through the letterbox.

Right - "Health and Efficiency" it was, sadly i never got to see the inside pages :hihi:

I seem to remember another shop opposite the Royal that sold and repaired radios, a man by the name of Goodison ?

Hi Janber,

My Grandma lived at number 12, Hobart Street up to her death in '71.

As a child I'd visit her with my Mum usually every Saturday through the 40's, 50's. We would buy fish & chips for dinner from the shop on the corner with Club Garden Road. Do you remember it? It's now a kebab take away, I think.

Her house was close to the top end of the street and was next to number 10but it was always a mystery to me where numbers 2,4,6 & 8 had gone. On the other side of the street the numbers start at 9, so 1, 3, 5 & 7 are missing also. My only explanation is that in building Club Garden Road they demolished part of Hobart St but I'm not sure. Certainly the houses on the former are more prestigious with bay windows.

I recall number 12 having a Yorkshire Range but no bathroom and the loo was at the top of the garden. Freezing in winter. They talk about recycling nowadays but in days gone bye torn up sheets of The Sunday Pictorial were put to good use!

Echo

Hi Echo beach,

Yes,I remember the fish and chip shop. It was Marriots,and the tastiest fish and chips you could find. In those days,you could get a penny fish and a pennyworth of chips - and I'm talking the old penny.

I lived on Ashley road and would walk down Hobart street on my way to Bagshaw's barber shop,or the 2 picture houses in Heeley. A very long time ago!

I'm quiet sure that there was also a fish and chip shop on Sharrow Lane just before where the Charnwood Hotel is now. I also remember a off licence near the junction of Sitwell Road and Sharrow Lane in the late 70's before all the houses in that area were pulled down.

Your right about the chippy i went in there when a gang of us hung about across the road (learners mob)

The off licence you mention belonged to the Fitzgerald family i think the youngest was called Shaun. I did see them a few years after the area was cleared for demolition. They had (or have ?) a coach bussiness now.

Your right about the chippy i went in there when a gang of us hung about across the road (learners mob)

The off licence you mention belonged to the Fitzgerald family i think the youngest was called Shaun. I did see them a few years after the area was cleared for demolition. They had (or have ?) a coach bussiness now.

There was an offy further up on Sitwell Road itself, opposite the Highfield Special School. I remember it for having modern metal doors and windows unlike roses and Fitzies which both had ordinary wooden doors. it was here on the corner of Cecil and Sitwell roads.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Sitwell+Road+Sheffield&aq=&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.540145,28.081055&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Sitwell+Rd,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S7+1BG,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.366226,-1.477618&spn=0,0.027423&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.366162,-1.477754&panoid=Pzy0F2wNiHwIXvsQAHDb_A&cbp=12,144.91,,0,13.73

there was a chippy here:-

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Sharrow+Lane,+Sheffield&aq=0&sll=53.3662,-1.477747&sspn=0.011472,0.027423&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Sharrow+Ln,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.36766,-1.478777&spn=0,0.027423&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.367452,-1.476789&panoid=fPkd5OKYwmJJyXOL0sgY0w&cbp=12,350.63,,0,6.55

it was in the pebbledashed building next to what is now Saleem Hair Cutz.the window nearest the charnwood was previously the door.

There was an offy further up on Sitwell Road itself, opposite the Highfield Special School. I remember it for having modern metal doors and windows unlike roses and Fitzies which both had ordinary wooden doors. it was here on the corner of Cecil and Sitwell roads.

Remember it well PT, my friend who lived on Cecil road a few doors down from the shop had a part time weekend job there.

I also remember my old scotish doctors surgery up the side of the chippy in your live map.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Batt+Street,+Sheffield&aq=0&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=16.575836,39.331055&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Batt+St,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S8+0ZZ,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.365005,-1.474904&spn=0,0.002401&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.365104,-1.474884&panoid=QznzQuoIP-X7447ULjs4NA&cbp=12,335.95,,0,7.22

This is where roses off licence and corner shop once stood on Abbeydale/Horner road.

Speaking of shops in the area many years ago there were two on Herschell Rd. Robinsons opposite the top of Farrar Rd. (still cobbled) which was a general provisions shop (known as a "gossipin' oyle") and Mrs Unsworths which was at the corner of Herschell Rd. and Vincent Rd.

Archived