Help! Can a floorboard house be converted to concrete floor?

Joe9T

I have only recently moved into an old victorian stone built house, which has been converted into flats. The groundfloor and upstairs are separate flats.

The problem is, the flat above has floorboards and the tenant is so heavy footed. (the groundfloor where i live has also floorboards, but under me is a cellar).

I want to know if the floor between me and the flat above could be converted into a concrete floor or is there anything that can be done, building wise, to reduce the problem of noise due to floorboards above me in the flat above.

It is extremely annoying and I really do not want to have to move out because of this.

Any advise most appreciated.

Anything can be done with sufficient budget, but the cost to retrospectively fit a concrete upper floor would be massive - you might as well rebuild the flats.

Lining under their carpet/flooring with a sound deadening layer is the only real option, but would cost thousands and completely disturb their flat/lives for several days or weeks - so I doubt they'd agree.

You can get a little (not much) improvement by lining your ceiling with sound absorbing tiles, but that too would cost hundreds and not have much effect - a lot of the sound is transmitted down the walls anyway.

:hihi::thumbsup:

I have only recently moved into an old victorian stone built house, which has been converted into flats. The groundfloor and upstairs are separate flats.

The problem is, the flat above has floorboards and the tenant is so heavy footed. (the groundfloor where i live has also floorboards, but under me is a cellar).

I want to know if the floor between me and the flat above could be converted into a concrete floor or is there anything that can be done, building wise, to reduce the problem of noise due to floorboards above me in the flat above.

It is extremely annoying and I really do not want to have to move out because of this.

Move into the cellar.:hihi:hihi:

Anything can be done with sufficient budget, but the cost to retrospectively fit a concrete upper floor would be massive - you might as well rebuild the flats.

Lining under their carpet/flooring with a sound deadening layer is the only real option, but would cost thousands and completely disturb their flat/lives for several days or weeks - so I doubt they'd agree.

You can get a little (not much) improvement by lining your ceiling with sound absorbing tiles, but that too would cost hundreds and not have much effect - a lot of the sound is transmitted down the walls anyway.

Thanks for that Conrod. I agree, most of the sound travels down the walls as the house actually vibrates, when the tenant above walks heavily around. Unfortunately, i think they are flat footed, which doesn't help at all. Although there is noone below me, i kinda hover about, without allowing my heels to land heavily on the floor. I wish the tenant above would do the same and the problem would be fixed. I wonder whether I have a right in all of this, as the landlord should have taken into account this probable and possible problem occuring prior to the house being converted into flats in the first place. The ceiling has been lowered, but the tenant above is still walking on floorboards and isn't enough to be acceptable to most if not all tenants that live below.

What you'd be best doing is taking up the carpets, laying some sheets of plywood over the floorboards, then putting some thick underlay on it before refitting the carpet, much cheaper!

What you'd be best doing is taking up the carpets, laying some sheets of plywood over the floorboards, then putting some thick underlay on it before refitting the carpet, much cheaper!

That would be the tenant above though!

That would be the tenant above though!

Can't you speak to him or his landlord and explain the situation, he may even agree to meet some of the cost! - Hmmm maybe not! But as it's not too big a job once the furniture has been moved he may allow you to do it.

Archived