Help! Can a floorboard house be converted to concrete floor?

Joe9T

He is aware of it, but does not seem to care and yes he does apparently wear slippers.

I think that it's the Housing Association's duty to solve the problem and if that means thousands of pounds spending to install a concrete floor then so be it.

He is aware of it, but does not seem to care and yes he does apparently wear slippers.

I think that it's the Housing association's duty to solve the problem and if that means thousands of pounds to install a concrete floor then so be it.

Couldn't you get the portly fellow to take up jogging? or if he's just leaden footed, ballet!

I have an 8ft x 4ft suspended concrete floor at one end of my kitchen, it is about 6ins thick and has a 12ins deep girder supporting it, and it might be reinforced with steel rods as well.

I believe there is available some form of hi-tech polymer sheet material, made in America I think, which is used for party-wall sound proofing. I was looking at the website a while ago (can't recall the name) and this might be suitable.

It's true that the vibrations can travel down the supporting walls although much of it is transmitted directly through the source of the impact so some amount of suppression could be achieved with this or similar materials.

Thanks for that Conrod. I agree, most of the sound travels down the walls as the house actually vibrates, when the tenant above walks heavily around. Unfortunately, i think they are flat footed, which doesn't help at all. Although there is noone below me, i kinda hover about, without allowing my heels to land heavily on the floor. I wish the tenant above would do the same and the problem would be fixed. I wonder whether I have a right in all of this, as the landlord should have taken into account this probable and possible problem occuring prior to the house being converted into flats in the first place. The ceiling has been lowered, but the tenant above is still walking on floorboards and isn't enough to be acceptable to most if not all tenants that live below.
My bold

I wonder if the gap between the original ceiling and the new ceiling could be acting as some sort of echo chamber and making the problem worse???

Anyway, the first thing you need to do is have a word with your landlord about it. If there are other flats on your floor, you could have a word with them, to see if they are having similar problems, which might add weight to your complaint.

Archived