April 29th 2011 - When is a Bank Holiday not a Bank Holiday?

dvp82

So we all know that there is an extra bank holiday this year due to the big day down in london. So at work today we get a memo sent saying that due to the current economic climate and the fact that the extra bank holiday doesn't fit in with the needs of the business, friday april 29th is been treated as a normal day.

Where a 24/7 business, so what usually happens is if your working you get payed bank holiday rate and get to take the extra day off at a later time.

What we have been told is if your working that day, its going to be treated as a normal day, payed at normal rate and no extra day off at a later date, anyone rotaed not to work that day it will just be treated as a normal day off.

I don't know the laws regarding bank holidays, is the company i work for pulling a fast one on us.

So we all know that there is an extra bank holiday this year due to the big day down in london. So at work today we get a memo sent saying that due to the current economic climate and the fact that the extra bank holiday doesn't fit in with the needs of the business, friday april 29th is been treated as a normal day.

Where a 24/7 business, so what usually happens is if your working you get payed bank holiday rate and get to take the extra day off at a later time.

What we have been told is if your working that day, its going to be threated as a norumlal day, payed at normal rate and no extra day off at a later date, anyone rotaed not to work that day it will just be treated as a normal day off.

I don't know the laws regarding bank holidays, is the company i work for pulling a fast one on us.

The company I work for is doing the same,its NOT going to be any different to a normal working day no double time or anything like that.:(

What we have been told is if your working that day, its going to be threated as a norumlal day, payed at normal rate and no extra day off at a later date, anyone rotaed not to work that day it will just be treated as a normal day off.

i think you company is shafting you. we work all days and have been given it as a bank holiday and if we are working that day, we take the day of later

It will depend on the terms of your contract. If, for example, it says "20 days annual leave plus eight bank holidays," then there is no obligation to give you time off, or extra pay, for a ninth bank holiday. If it says "20 days plus bank holidays," they cannot argue that April 29th is not a bank holiday, because it is one.

It will depend on the terms of your contract. If, for example, it says "20 days annual leave plus eight bank holidays," then there is no obligation to give you time off, or extra pay, for a ninth bank holiday. If it says "20 days plus bank holidays," they cannot argue that April 29th is not a bank holiday, because it is one.

this is correct - there is another thread re the "extra" bank holidays; it is only now that people are starting to realise that it isn't necessarily extra for them.

Intresting, i know my holiday form at work says X number of days + 8 bank holidays days and it lists the days. It's always said + 8 bank holiday days as there as only ever been 8 bank holidays all the time ive worked for them.

But i do have a sneaky feeling my contract of employment i signed says X number of day plus bank holidays and not + 8 bank holidays.

Archived