Alcohol consumption in the UK has been dropping since 2002

Nagel

Contrary to popular myth, alcohol consumption has steadily decreased since 2002. Yes, I was surprised too, but 'men and women of all ages are slowly curbing their excesses and drinking in moderation, according to the annual survey from the Office for National Statistics, which covers England, Scotland and Wales.

It suggests that heavy drinking is falling, abstinence is rising, and young people are leading the drive towards healthier drinking.

The decrease among some groups even pre-dates 2002, with men aged 16-24 drinking 26 units a week on average in 1999 and just 15 units a week in 2009, according to the ONS figures.'

Here's the full story from the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12397254

alcohol is still pretty cheap in Britain. You can get 4 cans of 500 ml Stella for 3.89. Try getting that 'premium' brand for any less anywhere else in the world.

6 half-litre bottles of a premim beer would cost you about £3.00 in Germany.

Cheap beer costs as little as 9 cents a bottle. Plus the 25 cent deposit on the bottle. :hihi:

alcohol is still pretty cheap in Britain. You can get 4 cans of 500 ml Stella for 3.89. Try getting that 'premium' brand for any less anywhere else in the world.

oh lets not get started on this cheapest beer in the world thing. A one liter (2 x 500ml) and 5% bottle of decent San Miguel beer costs 60 pesos or less from a Filipino sari. That's about 85 pence.

If you don't want to talk about low beer prices, why did you make the first post?:huh:

I wonder what the increase was in the number of people who do not drink at all during that period?

I suspect that will be where a lot of the fall comes from. Certainly there are still a large number who go out with every intention of drinking however much it takes to render themselves unconscious.

Archived