Alcohol consumption in the UK has been dropping since 2002

Nagel

Okay, so without making this personal Mecky. You're speaking from a position of ignorance. You clearly don't know any students or what you're talking about.

I called you on that, because there are indeed some students who visit the pub five times a week. I know some like that.

You were wrong. It's no big deal though, let's just move on without you calling me a troll, claiming that I'm fishing or saying that I'm little.

I think that is the same for all walks of life, though. I know some teachers who go to the pub 5 nights a week. Students do like a drink, this is true, but I have noticed that the pub culture with students has dropped quite a bit since I was at Uni 10 years ago. I think prices, as well as all the campaigns about binge drinking and changing priorites, have led to a slight decline.

(I do know quite a lot of student, by the way)

They seem as keen as ever to me, I never a drank (a lot) during the week whilst at uni, but they seem to be clubbing mid week more often than at the weekend these days, and if not clubbing, then a small number will consistently be found spending part of every evening in the local.

They seem as keen as ever to me, I never a drank (a lot) during the week whilst at uni, but they seem to be clubbing mid week more often than at the weekend these days, and if not clubbing, then a small number will consistently be found spending part of every evening in the local.

Just shows how different people have different experiences, then. My sister was saying the same thing as me a few weeks ago. When we were at Uni in Sheffield the clubs would have a student night every night of the week and they'd be packed. Bars and clubs would have stupidly cheap drinks that I don't think they are allowed to do now.

I was under the impression that in real terms the price of alcohol has plummeted.

The working classes of England used to drink a gallon a day of beer.

And that my friend, is a very expensive thing to do today.

25% of their wages even if they buy the cheapest beer from a supermarket.

Imagine the beer bill for a working mans family! (Especially considering how many kids they had)

200 units a week. And why would you lie on a survey, for what earthly purpose?

You come up to me and ask personal questions without a fair reason explained before hand and I'll fob you off with some lies.

People have their reasons.

Ask a child smoker how much he smokes in front of his parents, he will reply generally "not at all". He has his reasons. An old man his income?? Etc.

While were at it I recall you did not complete the SF survey.

How much do you smoke?

How much do you drink?

What is your address?

Your National Insurance Number?

How old are you?

Ethnicity?

Height, weight and the circumference of your; head, waist, wrists and ankles?

Etc. Etc.

I guess it doesn't matter, as unless you're lying now you'll soon be dead from chronic alcohol abuse!

Perhaps, and I smoke too much too. You can understand why I would never pay into a pension eh!

The working classes of England used to drink a gallon a day of beer.

And that my friend, is a very expensive thing to do today.

How much did a bottle of no-name vodka cost the "working classes of England" at some ill defined point in the past, at their local supermarket?

You are confusing beer with alcohol.

How much did a bottle of no-name vodka cost the "working classes of England" at some ill defined point in the past, at their local supermarket?

You are confusing beer with alcohol.

I'm assuming alcohol as an alcoholic beverage drunk by the common man.

Ethanol is dirt cheap. Especially if denatured.

The drinkable stuff can be bought for less than 48p a 0.7 Litre bottle with a strength of 37.5% when you disregard the DUTY and VAT upon that DUTY.

And 1/6 of that sum a which bit below 48p is actually VAT.

Taking into account government taxes a bottle of vodders a day costs £55+ a week.

Over 25% of the wage of a working class person.

Archived