Alcohol consumption in the UK has been dropping since 2002

Nagel

It's entirely possible that people continue to drink whilst having reduced the quantity they drink in one sitting. I wouldn't automatically disbelieve a report that said as such if it was based on reasonable evidence.

It does seem rather short sighted though to make predictions about the alcohol consumption of the country in general just by measuring the amounts sold in licensed premises... If that's what they've done then the conclusions drawn aren't supported by the evidence.

Regarding the governments recommendations, the numbers were pulled out of thin air by a health minister (not a trained medical researcher) and have been stuck with ever since. There's no actual evidence to suggest that the 'recommended' limits are of any health benefit at all.

It seems odd then that alcohol-related liver disease in young people up 50% in a decade.

Perhaps there should be a special additional tax on the drinks industry to pay for the treatment of the thousands of people suffering from alcohol-related liver disease.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8281045/Alcohol-related-liver-disease-in-young-people-up-50-in-a-decade.html

It isn't taxed enough?

Yes. IMO (and I don't pay the tax, so I've no personal axe to grind) it's over-taxed.

Alcohol is far cheaper in many other European countries than it is in the UK, but they don't have the same binge-drinking problems, so I'd appreciate a clear explanation from those who advocate highher taxes as to why binge drinking is caused by low prices.

I can buy 10 litres of excellent beer for £10. You (in the UK) can't.

If I could buy that same 10 litres for £5, would I buy twice as much? - no way! - Why should I?

(I can buy 10 litres of really cheap beer for about £3.00 - I don't, because I don't like it.)

Pricing isn't the problem. It goes deeper than that (and I don't know the answer) but it may have something to do with 'attitude'.

In Germany (or where I live, anyway), people go out to have a good time and (some of them) drink alcohol. (Some of them drink soft drinks or coffee.)

In the UK, it seems that many (particularly young) people go out to get pi88ed. They can't afford the high prices charged in clubs, so they 'pre-load' at home.

That's the attitude which needs to be changed.

I can buy 10 litres of excellent beer for £10. You (in the UK) can't.

Tesco are selling 12 X 440ml of Stella Artois for £6.67, right now. Now I know not everybody thinks Stella is 'excellent', but that works out at 80 pence a liter. Stella is also 5.2%, few beers on sale in Germany are as strong as that.

Tesco are selling 12 X 440ml of Stella Artois for £6.67, right now. Now I know not everybody thinks Stella is 'excellent', but that works out at 80 pence a liter. Stella is also 5.2%, few beers on sale in Germany are as strong as that.

12X 0.44=5.28

thats £1.25 per litre so the drink is harming your maths

I think 5.2 % is beyond your safe limit

12X 0.44=5.28

thats £1.25 per litre so the drink is harming your maths

I think 5.2 % is beyond your safe limit

5.28 / divided / by £6.67 is 0.7916042

80 pence a liter.

nothing wrong with my arithmetic, and by the way, arithmetic is not maths.

5.28 / divided / by £6.67 is 0.7916042

80 pence a liter.

nothing wrong with my arithmetic, and by the way, arithmetic is not maths.

So if I buy 4 pints for £2 then I divide 4 by 2 to get £2.You divide the cash bt the volume to get the price.Maths embraces arithmetic and I have tried to teach sums to people like you and it cannot be done.

Try this one!If it takes 4 men to dig a hole how many men are needed to dig half a hole?

Archived