Tresspassing laws to be used against the elderly

Saw something on TV this morning. the government are looking into using trespassing and vagrancy laws to force the elderly out of hospitals.

Can't find a link but it appears if someone decides they should go and they've nowhere to go they'll be classed as trespassers and prosecuted.

I know there's another thread about care of the elderly but I felt this is more about the state tweaking and re interpreting laws to meet their own means. The elderly just happen to be the target this time.

Anyone saw this? What thinks you?

I think it must relate to this story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8327699/NHS-Trust-plans-to-evict-elderly-bed-blockers.html

It has been done before and that case seems exceptional. Extending the use is however concerning if there are problems with the suitability of the Care facilities on offer.

Thanks for the link, cat. Was starting to think I'd imagined it. Yeah, it is worrying that the book can be thrown at you. In principle I can see why they'd say this might be the thing to do ( if someone becomes a danger to themselves or others etc) but, surely this is a matter for healthcare professionals and not the courts or the police

If healthcare professionals decide they are being conned and that someone should be made to leave the hospital, but they refuse to go .. what should happen next?

yeah, in that case they should go to the police.

thing is, as in the case of hypochondria, you could say it's a con but it might be symptoms to something deeper. the worry is it's easier to just go to the cops and 'discharge' people who still need care, albeit not physical care, maybe.

Archived