Are the laws in this country becoming a joke?

The news doesn't tell the full story, apparently there was a dispute about wages and £845 was what his boss owed him, I mean..it does seem like a pretty random amount to steal doesn't it?

And I agree with HeadingNorth for once, we don't live in the middle ages anymore this sort of stuff isn't acceptable.

Oh and his boss tied him up and bungled him into the back of a van, not cool for a crime that wasn't proven.

The police routinely handcuff and bung people in the backs of vans for crimes that aren't proven. It's fairly difficult to take someone into arrest if you have to wait for them to have been convicted first.

His mistake was hanging the thief notice around his neck...

The police routinely handcuff and bung people in the backs of vans for crimes that aren't proven. It's fairly difficult to take someone into arrest if you have to wait for them to have been convicted first.

Some more details here (I know, it's the sun...)

According to the person in question, the £845 was wages owed to him which he needed to pay for a holiday. It is not a round figure, and he was earning £1,000 a week so I'd say it was plausible.

He also accused them of beating him in the back of the van.

edit: to add to your point, to imprison him, they would have had to demonstrate that a citizens arrest was neccesary - wiki defines the criteria here, and I'm not sure if this would have met them.

But he wasn't a police officer!

But he wasn't a police officer!

How about a citizens arrest? I remember a teacher of mine telling a story of finding a burglar in their house one day. They captured him and the only way they could prevent him from escaping was to sit on him until the police arrived.

I see these two situations being very similar.

How about a citizens arrest? I remember a teacher of mine telling a story of finding a burglar in their house one day. They captured him and the only way they could prevent him from escaping was to sit on him until the police arrived.

The burglar was in the process of committing the offence, where as this case appears to be a civil dispute almost.

How does that work then? Was the burglar an employee of the teacher?

The burglar was in the process of committing the offence, where as this case appears to be a civil dispute almost.

I didn't know the law working in "almosts" :)

Was this guy committing fraud? I'm not sure, but if so, he is committing an offence and citizens arrest would (I think) apply.

Putting the sign on him is another matter and one more akin to the use of stocks which have been outlawed for a long time for obvious reasons.

Archived