Are the laws in this country becoming a joke?

I agree that the guy must be gutted and that his employee had no right to steal money from him.

HOWEVER I can understand why the courts took the stand they did - to ignore Mr Cremer's actions would have made a mockery of several constitutional rules, such as "innocent until proven guilty" and "right to a fair trial". The court also had to reinforce the belief that there is no place in a civilised society for vigilanteism otherwise the floodgates would have been opened for everyone to take the law into their own hands and dish out their own punishments wherever and however they see fit.

I will now climb into my fireproof suit and prepare for the fireworks :)

Very well said Mel's Mum - I agree with every word you said.

But he wasn't a police officer!

Almost irrelevant, although the police are exempt from some legislation that would make an arrest illegal by anyone else.

It wasn't a civil dispute, it was an attempted theft. The none payment of wages would be a civil dispute.

Almost irrelevant, although the police are exempt from some legislation that would make an arrest illegal by anyone else.

It wasn't a civil dispute, it was an attempted theft. The none payment of wages would be a civil dispute.

Irrelevant, He was labelled a thief and marched up the street before trial.

The laws in this country are indeed a joke (though not a very funny one) but this is a poor example.

I can't see much wrong here.

Now, 130+ days in jail without trial,refused bail and TWICE not taken to a bail hearing when ordered to do so by a judge when all you did was post a DVD to a court with your opinion of the truth.

This place is screwed up.

Not heard from the original story, but where was he captured - was he found actually writing the cheque, or did the boss go and find him afterwards? If he went and found him to do it, then it was not a lawful citizens arrest as it would have been practicable for him to ring the police to make the arrest.

IIRC he caught up with him in the cheque cashing place.

I don't know how strictly the bit about the constable is required to be though. If there's one just around the corner, you should probably fetch them, but having to phone them... It's not like they can teleport there is it.

If it was an employee, it's not as though he'll be difficult to find. He's not a random stranger who's run off down the street with your wallet.

The court dealt quite correctly with the employer. The employer could have called the proper authorities to deal with it in a civilized manner.

Very well said Mel's Mum - I agree with every word you said.

Thank you :)

How about a citizens arrest? I remember a teacher of mine telling a story of finding a burglar in their house one day. They captured him and the only way they could prevent him from escaping was to sit on him until the police arrived.

I see these two situations being very similar.

not really - burglars caught in the act are notorious for running off and disappearing whereas errant employees have a known address where the police can catch up with them!

Archived