Bought something online not charged ??

Firstly, it could still be waiting to come out of your account - how long ago did you put your details in?

Secondly, if they ever come after you for the money you are of course liable for it.

However you have done your bit, you don't have any obligation to do anything.

Can moderators / admin etc give legal advice on here then?

If I get money put into my account accidentally, or receive something in the post I've not paid for do I have any obligation to do anything about it?

Firstly, it could still be waiting to come out of your account - how long ago did you put your details in?

Secondly, if they ever come after you for the money you are of course liable for it.

However you have done your bit, you don't have any obligation to do anything.

It's not as simple as that.

In what way?

Well, like you say I'd wait a bit longer to see if the money comes out depending on how long ago the sale was made.

But in relation to the buyer having done all obligations, what if the details that have been given are wrong (due to, say, a mistake)? The fact that the OP has received the goods knowing full well he has not paid for them means they're not his/hers. Not only is he/she being dishonest by keeping them and not doing anything about paying for them, they could come for the money at any time. What happens if at the time they come asking for it he can't afford it?

Well, if the bank details are wrong, then my supposition that they have given their details would be wrong, so then the post you originally quoted wouldn't be relevant anyway.

However, while you might be right that they are being morally dishonest, I would struggle to find an offence they could be charged with. Certainly not theft, obviously, not fraud (unless the details were put in wrongly on purpose), not sure what it could be.

As I said, they certainly owe the money for the item, but the company purchased from would have to approach them and ask for the money again if they have done something wrong themselves (lost the details or something). This is evidenced simply by the fact that in order to take someone to small claims court, you must have asked the person for the money, you can't simply jump straight to court without ever asking for the money. And since originally when they asked them for the money they gave the details....

edit: that said, by far most likely is that it simply hasn't come out yet :D

This post illustrates how it's not just as simple as you first suggest! My advice to the OP would be to contact the seller and arrange to pay for the item. Without knowing its value, the reason I say this is because if the money comes out of the account/is asked for at a later time and the poster does not have the money, it will be more hassle than it's worth.

The bank detail's given were all correct, and the item has been posted to my home address, the one my bank account relate's to ? I wouldn't have thought they could accidently deduct the money from someone else's account as this wouldn't match my name ? I would also like to point out the money for the item is in my account and will remain there, I just find it hard to believe that this error could occur in this day and age ? My order was placed on the 10th Feb ? :confused:

i can remember a big furore made on watchdog about one of the supermarkets (cant remember which one) charging customers cards months after they had originally made their purchases, due to a technical error.

dont the shops have something like months in which to take payment from your card?

Archived