Help Mother in Law from Hell

I am between 2 idea's 1 to dig a 6ft hole in the ground, 2 try and buy an electric chair.

My mother in law lives with us and has for the past 5 years, tensions are runing high, I come home from work and she is there checking where I have been. I formed my own company and created a study as an office with a dry white board which I display my daily appointments on, sometimes clients ring me on the mobile while I am out and change the appointment so when I come home I ammend. As I spend quite a lot of time at home writing reports I am been told by Gondzila (mother in law) what are you doing at home you are supposed to be at XY or Z.

Any advice that is not as severe of my solutions and the way I feel. this is causing a strain in my marrage of 35 years.

Thanks any advice.

Thanks

You have my sympathy - I know how difficult it can be with an aged in law living with you.

Firstly, have a word with your spouse - when you're nice and calm and not ready to wring the old boot's neck - and see if they can help you think of a solution.

It's possible that she actually thinks she's being helpful (my ma-in-law thought she was being helpful in reminding me it was nearly time to feed the cats and dog about half a dozen times before 5pm!)

Depending on how agile/fit she is, are there any clubs for people of her age in the vicinity? Outside interests might help to occupy her time.

Is there anything in the house she could take charge of? Dusting or ironing or something? If she has some specific duties, it might make her feel a bit more useful and as if she is contributing to the household.

Does she have any hobbies? Could she take up new ones - crosswords, jigsaw puzzles, making Readicut rugs, knitting blankets for charity, etc.

Is there a local branch of Age Concern you could contact for ideas? Or perhaps a local carers group - there's an excellent one in Sheffield, but that won't be much use for you, I'm afraid.

Good luck.

Lock her in a room and slide her food under the door :)

That's not a bad idea but not in such an extreme way.:hihi:

If the OP can split the house so his mother in law has her own bathroom and kitchette (kitted out with a kettle, a mini oven and hotplates maybe) and her own internal door then you could put a lock on her door and a lock on hers so you both have your own space. Then you can agree to have her round for dinner etc for set evenings etc.

I have to say when I first read the headline I assumed you were a woman because I thought a bloke would be too afraid to say what was happening for fear of being called uncaring or selfish. But I have to say if this was going on in a situation where it was the blokes husband and the wife's Mum there is no way a woman would have put up with this for so long.

Get yourself a diary and then use the white board for fake appointments etc

Come home at random times, convince her its a different time of the day or a different week, year... Add into it a few sleeping pills in the morning so she misses days/up all night. Give it a month or so, send her proper :loopy: get her sectioned and get back to normality.

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I like it!

Does she meddle in everyone's business, or just yours? Mom needs to understand that you are a grown person and perfectly capable of running your own life without her assistance. If polite but firm requests to keep out of your office don't work, then lock the door and keep it locked. If she says anything about it, ask her why she needs to go in there. (She doesn't) Good luck to you. :)

Cant you just put her in a home?

She's already in one! - Sandie's.

Ermm just ignore her its easy :)

That may not be so easy. My MIL lived with us for about 6 months. I loved her dearly (looked on her as a 'replacement mum' [my own had died.])

Fortunately at that time we were living in a house which had a 'granny flat' so she had her sitting room, bedroom and bathroom, but ate meals with us. It worked well.

I wouldn't want to live with my kids unless they had a house with similar facilities. Everybody needs a place they can call their own; perhaps your MIL is missing her independence? Perhaps -as another poster suggested - she (and your family) would all be happier if she had a small flat/sheltered accommodation where you could visit, but not be on top of one another.

You're in a difficult situation. Good luck.

Sit her down in a chair, sit opposite and hold hands.

Look deep into her eyes and tell her you love her.

Really love her, all this time you've spent together you can't resist anymore.

And that you think your ready for the next step in your relationship.

Archived