How much does it cost to run a car?

I just picked up my accounts from the accountant. I was a bit shocked at how much it costs to run my car. I see these threads about folks looking for insurance for 17 year ols, but when it boils down to it the insurance is the least of your worries.

I don't think any of my costs are excessive but here they are. This is for one car.

Petrol £2538

Insurance £348

Car tax £245

Service & repair £217

Tyres £287

Parking £42

Depreciation (for tax purposes) £3000

Total £6677. That equates to £128.40 per week.

Like I said my costs aren't excessive. They just add up. How much do you spend to run a car each year?

Fuel ~ £2k I'd estimate (not had it a year yet, but I am keeping track of fuel)

Tax ~ £120

Ins ~ £600

MOT ~ £40

Servicing ... not sure yet. Expect to do 2 small services this year.

Repairs ... hopefully not much this year

Consumables ... might need a tyre or two this year, not replaced one yet on this car so don't know cost

For some insurance is the big cost, for others the fuel or repairs/maintenance.

I just picked up my accounts from the accountant. I was a bit shocked at how much it costs to run my car. I see these threads about folks looking for insurance for 17 year ols, but when it boils down to it the insurance is the least of your worries.

I don't think any of my costs are excessive but here they are. This is for one car.

Petrol £2538

Insurance £348

Car tax £245

Service & repair £217

Tyres £287

Parking £42

Depreciation (for tax purposes) £3000

Total £6677. That equates to £128.40 per week.

Like I said my costs aren't excessive. They just add up. How much do you spend to run a car each year?

How many miles is this for?

Hard to say exacly. I would think between 12/13000. That's even more frightening. It works out at over £0.50p a mile.

well im gonna keep my car as long as i can regardless of cost because i hate the bus. The bus is expensive, dirty, unreliable and takes a lot longer than the care to get anywhere, so for all that alone, ill take the care anyday

At the moment, nothing, because I don't have a car, I can't afford one, but this year it would have cost me:

£600 approx insurance

£137 tax

£40 MOT

£550 approx petrol

=£1315 altogether, just over £25 a week.

So I am saving that much by not driving!

so it costs you nothing then in travel expenses ?? you must tell us all how its done , do you have wings ? :hihi:

Archived