You Know We Had That Thread About Tea In A China Cup ? How About A Skull ?

I wasn't agreeing with the smaller brain bit :hihi:, but I freely admit I cannot read a map to save my life. Thank God for my sat nav :hihi:.

the sat navs with the woman's voice can't read maps.:suspect: they get people lost. end up making them drive into rivers or go to Doncaster via Calais from here.

There are various literary references to skulls used as drinking vessels, so it might not be so unremarkable. In Norse legend the smith Weland (Volundr) got his revenge on his imprisonment by King Nithhad by killing the king's sons and making their skulls into cups (more to the story--google it!). The story is carved into the Franks Casket in the British Museum, referred to in the Old English poem Deor, and in the Norse Poetic Edda.

Similarly there is a story recounted by the chronicler Paul the Deacon (c. 720 – 13 April probably 799) in his History of the Lombards--it seems the Lombard king Alboin defeated the Gepids, hereditary enemies of his people, in 567 AD. He then slew their new king Cunimund, fashioned a drinking-cup from his skull, and took his daughter Rosamund as a wife. This story is retold in English verse by John Gower, the contemporary of Chaucer, in his long poem the Confessio Amantis.

Would be interesting to know the average cubic capacity of a human skull...

There are various literary references to skulls used as drinking vessels, so it might not be so unremarkable. In Norse legend the smith Weland (Volundr) got his revenge on his imprisonment by King Nithhad by killing the king's sons and making their skulls into cups (more to the story--google it!). The story is carved into the Franks Casket in the British Museum, referred to in the Old English poem Deor, and in the Norse Poetic Edda.

Similarly there is a story recounted by the chronicler Paul the Deacon (c. 720 – 13 April probably 799) in his History of the Lombards--it seems the Lombard king Alboin defeated the Gepids, hereditary enemies of his people, in 567 AD. He then slew their new king Cunimund, fashioned a drinking-cup from his skull, and took his daughter Rosamund as a wife. This story is retold in English verse by John Gower, the contemporary of Chaucer, in his long poem the Confessio Amantis.

Would be interesting to know the average cubic capacity of a human skull...

Im sure tea tastes better out of a scull, than from those paper cups in The Winter Gardens

:roll:

Archived