Euromillions - Buying your ticket in the UK using Euros or Pound Sterling

Buy a Euromillions ticket in the UK using Euros or Pound Sterling?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Buy a Euromillions ticket in the UK using Euros or Pound Sterling?

• Yes
    • No

Euromillions - Buying your ticket in the UK using Euros or Pound Sterling

Yes or no?

I have occasionally played the Euromillions and may do so again.

I have bought tickets in the UK using £ and in the EU using €.

Surely outlets offering Euromillions tickets should price and sell their tickets in both £ or € either in the UK or Europe.

We can then offload foreign currency in alternate friendly zones in our combined currency gambling mechanisms instead of faffing about going to M&S, a Post Office or friend.

I think it's the lottery company itself which dictates that tickets sold in the UK have a fixed price in Sterling, not a fixed price in Euros that is translated via an exchange rate.

Consequently even if a retailer was willing to accept Euros, he'd have to charge you the equivalent of £1.50 or whatever it is; he couldn't simply charge you the same amount that a Spaniard pays.

Camelot have the franchise in the UK and they charge in £Sterling, they are supposed to change the price if exchange rates vary considerably against the euro, for minor changes the excess gets paid into the non-jackpot fund for UK players only (4 numbers 1 star etc).

So if a ticket here is £2.00 and it actually should be £1.80 at the current exchange rate then 20p from every ticket is paid into the uk only prize fund so the non-jackpot winners in the UK get a slightly larger payout than the eurozone (I guess they feel if you've won £15mil then you're not going to be down to the last few percent)

Archived