Can apprentices claim housing benefit - is it done differently?

Today I came across an apprentice, a very like-able young chap whom was working 37 hours a week for the principle sum of £2.50 an hour (£90 a week), this was his second apprenticeship, a 12 month one, he has already completed a 6 month one!

He spoke of wanting to get a driving license and a (low insurance) car he had seen, £4k insurance per year (his income being under £5k and his board being the sum of £1200/year).

Assuming his income and current benefit rates. He is being exploited! (He would get £130 on the dole)

How would his extremely low wage affect housing & council tax benefit?

Would the numerical sums be taken into account or would his low wage (below half of minimum) earn him some better withdrawal rating?

So his applicable amount is £51.85 per week depending on his income he can claim HB. If his income is more than his applicable amount 65% of the difference is what he'll pay. If he's renting privately the maximum he can get is £65 per week so you need to do the maths!

I don't know why i'm telling you this you know most of it!

Today I came across an apprentice, a very like-able young chap whom was working 37 hours a week for the principle sum of £2.50 an hour (£90 a week), this was his second apprenticeship, a 12 month one, he has already completed a 6 month one!

He spoke of wanting to get a driving license and a (low insurance) car he had seen, £4k insurance per year (his income being under £5k and his board being the sum of £1200/year).

Assuming his income and current benefit rates. He is being exploited! (He would get £130 on the dole)

How would his extremely low wage affect housing & council tax benefit?

Would the numerical sums be taken into account or would his low wage (below half of minimum) earn him some better withdrawal rating?

I thought a single person on the dole got around £65, and even less if under 25? Board suggests he's living with parents. He'd be unlikely to get accommodation otherwise for £100 monthly. If he was living independently he would probably be eligible for a proportion of housing benefit.

But instead of comparing his low income to a job, compare it to a student who has to pay for the privilege of studying, and isn't eligible for any housing benefits. Both are in a learning environment which should eventually benefit them in the job market.

I can't see how he could possibly contemplate buying and running a car on his current income.

So his applicable amount is £51.85 per week depending on his income he can claim HB. If his income is more than his applicable amount 65% of the difference is what he'll pay. If he's renting privately the maximum he can get is £65 per week so you need to do the maths!

I don't know why i'm telling you this you know most of it!

Aye but it is nice to have it written down and confirmed for others.

He is worse off than the dole!

£51.85 + £65 + £13.56 (In Sheffield)? = £130.41

He gets £90 a week for working as an apprentice, and it is his second apprenticeship!

Although you say the council tax can be disregarded?

So he would have a deduction rate fixed at 65% rather than 65-85-96?

Aye but it is nice to have it written down and confirmed for others.

He is worse off than the dole!

£51.85 + £65 + £13.56 (In Sheffield)? = £130.41

He gets £90 a week for working as an apprentice, and it is his second apprenticeship!

Whats the £13.56 for?

I can't see how he could possibly contemplate buying and running a car on his current income.

To be honest he had priced it up and was contemplating the costs. But his prospects are depressingly pitiful. Perhaps he would be best joining the army as a driver?

Archived