Can apprentices claim housing benefit - is it done differently?

Today I came across an apprentice, a very like-able young chap whom was working 37 hours a week for the principle sum of £2.50 an hour (£90 a week), this was his second apprenticeship, a 12 month one, he has already completed a 6 month one!

He spoke of wanting to get a driving license and a (low insurance) car he had seen, £4k insurance per year (his income being under £5k and his board being the sum of £1200/year).

Assuming his income and current benefit rates. He is being exploited! (He would get £130 on the dole)

How would his extremely low wage affect housing & council tax benefit?

Would the numerical sums be taken into account or would his low wage (below half of minimum) earn him some better withdrawal rating?

nothing much has changed, i did a 4yr apprenticeship on crap money and couldnt afford a car until fully qualified, bussed it everywhere or blagged lifts.

used to earn £39 per week and paid £20 in b+b. couldnt get any benefits then

So:

90 - 51.85 = 38.15

65% of 38.15 = 24.80

65 - 24.80 = £40.20

Therefore he would be entitled to £40.20 hb per week + a council tax exemption.

So if he lived alone he would get 90 + 40.20 + 13.56 = £143.76

So he's better off as an apprentice

Aye but it is nice to have it written down and confirmed for others.

He is worse off than the dole!

£51.85 + £65 + £13.56 (In Sheffield)? = £130.41

He gets £90 a week for working as an apprentice, and it is his second apprenticeship!

Although you say the council tax can be disregarded?

So he would have a deduction rate fixed at 65% rather than 65-85-96?

If I've got the maths right, he would be entitled to housing benefit, but he'd not get the full amount. He exceeds the £51.85 figure by £38.15, so he would have (65% of £38.15) deducted from £65; meaning he could claim about £40.

£90 + £40 + £13.56 = £143.56 ...assuming he were renting a property (and assuming I've got this right!), he would be marginally worse off on the dole than he is now.

If he's living with his parents he cannot claim HB, but he still wouldn't be able to claim it on the dole either.

edit: discodown worked it out to the penny, but I was fairly close!

To be honest he had priced it up and was contemplating the costs. But his prospects are depressingly pitiful. Perhaps he would be best joining the army as a driver?

No more pitiful than anyone else in a learning environment. Apprenticeships used to be much sought after, people accepted they were low paid because they usually led to a job or even a career. The army can teach people a trade, but the cost might be higher than just low wages. :(

I'd have been really happy if one of my children was being paid to learn. Beats going to college full time and having a part time job as well, or ending up with a student loan etc. Parents need to support their children right up to them being financially self sufficient, and should encourage them to learn and to value work. Its all part of the commitment that comes with having children.

So:

90 - 51.85 = 38.15

65% of 38.15 = 24.80

65 - 24.80 = £40.20

Therefore he would be entitled to £40.20 hb per week + a council tax exemption.

So if he lived alone he would get 90 + 40.20 + 13.56 = £143.76

So he's better off as an apprentice

That he would, lets hope he can walk to work! For he must!

£130.41 Without his apprenticeship.

Sheffield weekly saver = £17.50

A loss of £4.15 (and travelling time + 37 hours!)

Yet he his under the magic universal EMTR of 65% (which does actually rise to (70) 74% when it exceeds (97) £125 per week due to (NI) NI & tax).

That he would, lets hope he can walk to work! For he must!

£130.41 Without his apprenticeship.

Sheffield weekly saver = £17.50

A loss of £4.15 (and travelling time + 37 hours!)

Yet he his under the magic universal EMTR of 65% (which does actually rise to (70) 74% when it exceeds (97) £125 per week due to (NI) NI & tax).

Or he may be able to get a stagecoach bus where a weekly pass is a tenner leaving him in pocket. Even if he can't he is still better off. Would he not need public transport if he were unemployed?

Archived