Private Number Plate Question.

I am looking to buy a new car(second hand).

The one i have seen for sale, just an normal everyday hatchback, has a private registration plate on it and seems to be included in the sale.

Now, I know nothing about the world of cherished plates, the car was registered in 2004, do I have to keep the private number plate on it, OR can I revert back to a 'normal' 2004 plate that must have been originally on the car?

Anyone know? And will it cost me an arm and a leg to go back to go back to a normal plate?

As I say, I know nothing about this subject and advice needed! :help:

I am looking to buy a new car(second hand).

The one i have seen for sale, just an normal everyday hatchback, has a private registration plate on it and seems to be included in the sale.

Now, I know nothing about the world of cherished plates, the car was registered in 2004, do I have to keep the private number plate on it, OR can I revert back to a 'normal' 2004 plate that must have been originally on the car?

Anyone know? And will it cost me an arm and a leg to go back to go back to a normal plate?

As I say, I know nothing about this subject and advice needed! :help:

I'm sort of puzzled here. Why do you want to go back to original plate?

Anyhow. Best bet would be to sell your plate to someone else. It will then cost them £70 to transfer the plate to their car.(or it was £70 when I last moved mine) In the process DVLA will return your cars original number FOC. So as long as you can sell the cherished plate for more than the cost of a pair of new plates you are in profit.

The whole process can be done over the counter at DVLA off Summerfield Street. You need log books for both vehicles. MOT tests up to date and it wouldn't hurt to have insurance documents on hand just in case. Parking is tricky because you need to take both cars tax discs in with you, although I'm sure local police must be wise to this by now.

Your car will be assigned its original number plate, the last time I changed mine it was £80 to transfer (July 2009), the private number plate if not assigned to another car will have to go on a retention certificate (£125), when you do finally sell it you will have to sell it with this price on top as all the new owners will have to do is transfer it over to their car and wont cost them anymore money. I think the retention certificate lasts for one year, then you have to pay again for the next year.

It costs £80 to directly transfer the number plate to another vehicle. To retain the vehicle registration number it costs £105 for one year; £130 for two or £155 for three.

You need to complete Form V317 which can be downloaded from the DVLA web pages.

Which is presumably why you only see them on Novas & Fiestas with blacked out windows & big exhausts and never on Jaguars, Bentleys, BMWs and Mercs. :huh::huh:

Yeah chavvy nobs who have money own expensive cars too!!:huh::huh:The private numberplate brigade thinks they look special but lets face it private number plates are about as rare as colour tvs these days!!!

Archived