Private Number Plate Question.

I am looking to buy a new car(second hand).

The one i have seen for sale, just an normal everyday hatchback, has a private registration plate on it and seems to be included in the sale.

Now, I know nothing about the world of cherished plates, the car was registered in 2004, do I have to keep the private number plate on it, OR can I revert back to a 'normal' 2004 plate that must have been originally on the car?

Anyone know? And will it cost me an arm and a leg to go back to go back to a normal plate?

As I say, I know nothing about this subject and advice needed! :help:

Tell them you don't need a private plate that has no reference to you, I'm surprised they don't want to transfer it to another car, they maybe pulling your chain.

Cant blame you private number plates are for chavs!:suspect:

Yeah chavvy nobs who have money own expensive cars too!!:huh::huh:The private numberplate brigade thinks they look special but lets face it private number plates are about as rare as colour tvs these days!!!

I completely agree, and I've got one! My Gran gave it to me after my Grandpa died, and REALLY wants to keep it in the family. I feel like a right plonker.:(

I completely agree, and I've got one! My Gran gave it to me after my Grandpa died, and REALLY wants to keep it in the family. I feel like a right plonker.:(

But possibly a very rich one. I bought a plate for £200 about 20 years ago. I was approached by Elite registrations last year on the off chance I might want to sell it. They offered £8000. Not a bad rate of return for a few jealous Focus owners snearing about it.

But possibly a very rich one. I bought a plate for £200 about 20 years ago. I was approached by Elite registrations last year on the off chance I might want to sell it. They offered £8000. Not a bad rate of return for a few jealous Focus owners snearing about it.

That's the reason I took it!:D

But you do know that people aren't really jealous, don't you?!

But you do know that people aren't really jealous, don't you?!

To be honest I don't care. It just makes me smile that the sneering classes will always try to put down what they themselves can't afford.

I suppose the bottom line is that it has no practical use at all apart from being a good investment. When I come to retire it will buy something very nice. In the meantime it makes my car a lot easier to find when I collect it after it's been serviced.:mrgreen:

To be honest I don't care. It just makes me smile that the sneering classes will always try to put down what they themselves can't afford.

I suppose the bottom line is that it has no practical use at all apart from being a good investment. When I come to retire it will buy something very nice. In the meantime it makes my car a lot easier to find when I collect it after it's been serviced.:mrgreen:

£8000 ? retirement? lol im not sneering forgive me if you think i am I just know whats hot and whats not!! and private regs ar certainly not. When I Collect my car from service they just bring it me to the front door. Not bad for a focus owner :hihi::hihi::hihi: NOT!:hihi:

I am looking to buy a new car(second hand).

The one i have seen for sale, just an normal everyday hatchback, has a private registration plate on it and seems to be included in the sale.

Now, I know nothing about the world of cherished plates, the car was registered in 2004, do I have to keep the private number plate on it, OR can I revert back to a 'normal' 2004 plate that must have been originally on the car?

Anyone know? And will it cost me an arm and a leg to go back to go back to a normal plate?

As I say, I know nothing about this subject and advice needed! :help:

Have the private reg valued it may be worth quite a lot of money, I paid £3,550 for one a couple of years ago. You may be in for a pleasant surprise.:)

When I Collect my car from service they just bring it me to the front door. Not bad for a focus owner :hihi::hihi::hihi: NOT!:hihi:

Yes I suppose it is. When I take my Mercedes for service they give me another one to drive until mine is ready and valleted. You get what you pay for in this world.:hihi::hihi:

Yes I suppose it is. When I take my Mercedes for service they give me another one to drive until mine is ready and valleted. You get what you pay for in this world.:hihi::hihi:

Really and they leave you to fetch your car from the car park astounding service! They probably dont bother delivering your car to you cos they think your a chav! Told you those private reg's do nothing for your status and what people may think of you because you have one! get rid of the reg then you may get the service you are paying for pmsl:hihi:

Archived