Travelling - Where have you been?

BTW those whove been to the USA is it just the Brit standards or are you guys going outside the comfort zones? The US is so much more than just Florida, California, NY, and Nevada.

Its just as an American its curiosity. I wish people would post WHERE theyve been in the States instead of just saying 'USA'
New England/Rhode Island (Providence, Newport and surrounding areas, including Block Island and Mystic (of 'Mystic Pizza' fame...had the pizza at the restaurant, of course, but wasn't worth writing home about :()), here.

My Mrs has family in Westerly, so we spent the whole time exploring the area when we went, aping the locals (e.g. going to a genuine school fair, with strawberry cake stands and whatnot, as you "see in the movies"). One morning I went lobster pot-picking with the Harbour Master, after we met and got chatting in the local.

That's on top of the usual suspects (San Francisco (drove rental aross bridge, ventured out to Napa Valley), Orlando, Ft Lauderdale) at other times.

Re. Ft Lauderdale, we drove there from Orlando in a rental. Not a huge trip, by any stretch of the imagination but, regarding your main point, some of the 'places' we drove through (after I got lost once or twice) were most definitely no-tourist-go area, and I didn't stop much for lights or road signs ;)

I'll not re-post my travel list/log as I'm sure I've done it before on this Forum, and it's quite long (and, like Cuey above, most heavily scrutinised by Homeland Security when we go over to the US :D). Highlights would be Iraq (pre-first Gulf War), Antigua (however memories somewhat spoiled by the later murder of Catherine & Ben Mullany in the hotel we stayed at :() and Venice

I have been to France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Norway, Denmark, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Yugoslavia (it was some time ago), Greece, Cyprus, Rhodes, Egypt and Israel.

All these were visited before I was 34, I haven't been out of the country for the last 17 years. I would like to go again sometime.

Some of the journeys were "interesting", like the time I went overland to Greece and back 3 times in 2 weeks, on a non-stop "Magic bus" which did the journey in 3 days, it was overbooked but instead of telling people they couldn't come on, they just put some wooden stools in the aisles for the extra passengers! We lost some passengers at the Greek border (their passports were out of date), one of the drivers in Belgrade (he was charged with smuggling) and the bus in Geneva! It wasn't allowed into France as it didn't meet their safety rules, so we spent 3 days in the British consul's car park, sleeping on the coach, until they organised a replacement coach. Ah - those were the days :)

It must run in the family, my nephew and his girlfriend have just come back from an overland trip to Mongolia and back, in their trusty landrover.

New England/Rhode Island (Providence, Newport and surrounding areas, including Block Island and Mystic (of 'Mystic Pizza' fame...had the pizza at the restaurant, of course, but wasn't worth writing home about :()), here.

My Mrs has family in Westerly, so we spent the whole time exploring the area when we went, aping the locals (e.g. going to a genuine school fair, with strawberry cake stands and whatnot, as you "see in the movies"). One morning I went lobster pot-picking with the Harbour Master, after we met and got chatting in the local.

Thank you.

If I had an unlimited amount of money, I would so want to live in New England (Maine - on the coast) We went there on vacation when I was a child and fell in love. Old (for America) Victorian age houses, with wrap around porches and swings. LOVED it.

That's on top of the usual suspects (San Francisco (drove rental aross bridge, ventured out to Napa Valley), Orlando, Ft Lauderdale) at other times.

California is on my bucket list (Never been pass the Mississippi) especially San Fran and the Napa Valley.

My sister lives in Seattle and very tempted to buy a cheap car and drive up and down the west coast just to explore. Want to go to San Diego, but have no desire to go to LA and the rest of southern California. (Odd huh?) Would love to go see the redwoods and try to hike Mt Diablo.

Old (for America) Victorian age houses, with wrap around porches and swings. LOVED it.
I know just what you mean. My Mrs family owns one of these (a "captain's house" as they call them), h-u-g-e wooden 2 storeys clapper-board period affair with a front porch and a sun deck on the roof. We briefly considered packing it all in at the time and emigrating just to paint them (£50k a pop, one coat every 2 years or so)...as you do when you're young and daft :D My Mrs cousin (same family) used to be a miner in Rotherham and emigrated to join them after the strike, he's nearly a $ millionaire by now, just doing contract oddjobs in the area (he drive to NY to change a lightbulb :o).

I remember it so well, we were sipping something fizzy and eating strawberries on that deck the very night Kennedy went down in Martha's Vineyard (if you remember that). We saw the fog coming in -literally- 3 or 4minutes tops, a peas souper like I'd never seen and not since (you couldn't see the bottom of the house, and could barely see street lights mere yards away :o) it was straight out of Carpenter's 70s 'The Fog' movie. So much so that we weren't really surprised when we head about Kennedy the morning after :(

Archived