Travelling - Where have you been?

you'll need at least a year to get the measure of all those and that's before you get to Oz.

I've been to all of those except Vietnam and Kenya. And I got the measure of the Vietnamese and the Kenyans in the neighboring countries. So don't worry too much. It's the people, not the places.

I know, we've got 4 months overland East Africa and 6 - 8 months for SE Asia.

I'm not worried, I just wondered if anyone had anything to say about the countries...

you'll need at least a year to get the measure of all those and that's before you get to Oz.

I've been to all of those except Vietnam and Kenya. And I got the measure of the Vietnamese and the Kenyans in the neighboring countries. So don't worry too much. It's the people, not the places.

It's nice where you say you are located callippo, I have been there twice.:thumbsup:

What's Singapore like? It's part of my next trip and sounds like a great place to spend a little time in.

Singapore is a really good place to explore. It's such a small place, but has so much crammed into it to keep you interested. I believe there is something there for everyone. Lots of parks, beaches (man made), shopping malls, history, interesting architecture, china town, little india and some to die for food stalls. I would highly recommend visiting.

after the southern (not East) African leg, you're flying into Singapore from Jo'Burg right.

it basically sounds like a UK-Nairobi --- surface --- Jo'burg, Singapore - Australia like flight plan. Once you've got to Australia from the UK, you might as well go right round. Anything on the American continent on the way home you might like to see?

well, it's been 10 years since I was in southern Africa. Notice you haven't mentioned Mozamibique. That's where I'd head again. It must have developed a great deal in that time but will still be cheap. It was just so unregulated when I was there. You could get a boat across Lake Malawi to the Mozambique side, there was no border control on the shore, you just had to go to a governmental office in a large Mozambican city to get a stamp without which you wouldn't be able to leave the country.

Singapore is a really good place to explore. It's such a small place, but has so much crammed into it to keep you interested. I believe there is something there for everyone. Lots of parks, beaches (man made), shopping malls, history, interesting architecture, china town, little india and some to die for food stalls. I would highly recommend visiting.

That sounds really great, it's one of the countries I've done the least research into so I'm very grateful for such a detailed opinion of the place.

after the southern (not East) African leg, you're flying into Singapore from Jo'Burg right.

it basically sounds like a UK-Nairobi --- surface --- Jo'burg, Singapore - Australia like flight plan. Once you've got to Australia from the UK, you might as well go right round. Anything on the American continent on the way home you might like to see?

well, it's been 10 years since I was in southern Africa. Notice you haven't mentioned Mozamibique. That's where I'd head again. It must have developed a great deal in that time but will still be cheap. It was just so unregulated when I was there. You could get a boat across Lake Malawi to the Mozambique side, there was no border control on the shore, you just had to go to a governmental office in a large Mozambican city to get a stamp without which you wouldn't be able to leave the country.

No i'm not doing flights like that, Africa then back to the UK then a flight to Thailand (it works out about £600 cheaper). Mozambique was actually in my original plan, but the vast amount of countries I want to visit meant I had to cut some of them out as the money wont last forever, again, this is why I wont travel to America on this trip, although possibly New Zealand and Fiji if funds allow.

We were told to only buy from the busy ones.;)

Archived