Travelling - Where have you been?

I have traveled quite a bit

Liked Thailand Have sailed round Greece

Singapore disappointing - all old historic places knocked down for more and more tower blocks!

south east Asia, home to about half a billion people, is not about ancient history anyway and you shouldn't go there expecting to find any. All of the 10 ASEAN capital cities are comparitively modern. What is now Ho Chi Minh city didn't get going until the 17th century, Bangkok was just a marsh until the late 18th. Kuala Lumpur was nothing until only 150 years ago. Oldest is Manila, by a mile and even that isn't that all old as a true urban centre. Certainly not anything like the Chinese, European or Middle Eastern cities, which really are ancient.

Yes I agree but its disappointing that Singapore has destroyed most of its older interesting areas eg Thieves market Chinese death houses etc

south east Asia, home to about half a billion people, is not about ancient history anyway and you shouldn't go there expecting to find any. All of the 10 ASEAN capital cities are comparitively modern. What is now Ho Chi Minh city didn't get going until the 17th century, Bangkok was just a marsh until the late 18th. Kuala Lumpur was nothing until only 150 years ago. Oldest is Manila, by a mile and even that isn't that all old as a true urban centre. Certainly not anything like the Chinese, European or Middle Eastern cities, which really are ancient.

Yes I agree but its disappointing that Singapore has destroyed most of its older interesting areas eg Thieves market Chinese death houses etc

Bugis Street?.............................:D ( I must add that I only went for Educational Reasons..)

Archived