Mental -arithmetic

I was with a travel consultant to book a holiday and asked for a basic package.The rep reached for a calculator and then added on all the extras.Then one by one she removed each extra....and ended up with the original price.I asked why she did it like this and she said the customers (at the Coop travel branch at Morrisons)like to see it done this way.She was over 50 years showing that old and young are similarly innumerate .When I showed her a quicker way she was well impressed;are you a maths teacher?excuse the English

I was with a travel consultant to book a holiday and asked for a basic package.The rep reached for a calculator and then added on all the extras.Then one by one she removed each extra....and ended up with the original price.I asked why she did it like this and she said the customers (at the Coop travel branch at Morrisons)like to see it done this way.She was over 50 years showing that old and young are similarly innumerate .When I showed her a quicker way she was well impressed;are you a maths teacher?excuse the English

I agree with Linus, what quicker way could you have possibly shown her than just NOT adding them on in the first place?

Original price + extras - extras = original price

I agree with Linus, what quicker way could you have possibly shown her than just NOT adding them on in the first place?

Original price + extras - extras = original price

Some customers do actually prefer to see the price, then the price plus each extra so they can choose whether to take the extras.

However taking them all back off to get back to the original price again does seem rather idiotic...

Some companies/corporations like to see physical evidence that extras have been either offered or charged for.

This may not have been the case here but it is often the cause, similarly serving drinks in some pubs, stuff in shops requires each item to be inputted for reconciliation of stock.

I'm of the age that when I worked in pubs as a teenager I didn't have itemised tills and had to add stuff up in my head- the first pub I worked in didn't even have an electric till at all and once I'd added up the cost in my head I then had to convert it to the nearest pre-decimal cost in order to press the correct manual buttons on the till to enter the input money.

The till didn't add anything up for me, it didn't tell me what change to give for a £20 note and strangely, the vast majority of the time all of the bar staff came to the same total on the same round.

I'm of the age that when I worked in pubs as a teenager I didn't have itemised tills and had to add stuff up in my head- the first pub I worked in didn't even have an electric till at all and once I'd added up the cost in my head I then had to convert it to the nearest pre-decimal cost in order to press the correct manual buttons on the till to enter the input money.

The till didn't add anything up for me, it didn't tell me what change to give for a £20 note and strangely, the vast majority of the time all of the bar staff came to the same total on the same round.

You probably found out that half the punters didn't know either, they just pocketed the change and grab the drinks, I used to, occasionally stand in for staff that did not turn up for work. I realised on the odd occasion that I had short changed the customer then had to go and apologise for my miss calculation. If you were that type of person you could actually make money.

Archived