Mental -arithmetic

I was with a travel consultant to book a holiday and asked for a basic package.The rep reached for a calculator and then added on all the extras.Then one by one she removed each extra....and ended up with the original price.I asked why she did it like this and she said the customers (at the Coop travel branch at Morrisons)like to see it done this way.She was over 50 years showing that old and young are similarly innumerate .When I showed her a quicker way she was well impressed;are you a maths teacher?excuse the English

With a name like that without vowels, are you welsh or binary. ?.:huh:

I used to work in a raw goodds warehouse and so had to be fairly adept at doing simple maths as I worked with microns and reams amongst other odd things. I also worked in a bar back in the days of manual tills and rarely struggled to add up a round of drinks. It amused me that last month in one pub I went in the till went wrong and the bar staff didn't know the prices of the drinks, they added up my round wrongly and then gave me the wrong change, I despair.

I was gobsmacked some years ago when a young woman I worked with asked if she could borrow my calculator - to work out a 10% discount!

I don't think mental arithmetic is taught in schools any more, or is it? We used to have daily tests, along with daily spelling tests. Back in the dark ages. ;)

I was gobsmacked some years ago when a young woman I worked with asked if she could borrow my calculator - to work out a 10% discount!

I don't think mental arithmetic is taught in schools any more, or is it? We used to have daily tests, along with daily spelling tests. Back in the dark ages. ;)

I remember a saying by I think by Einstein who said never keep in you head what you can find in a book, unfortunately most of the kids can't find the book or keep anything in their head, what is not worring is that non of these will be in government, thank god for others education.

Archived