Swallownest; Aston; Dinnington; Killamarsh; Kiveton Park; North Anston..

If you're looking for a balance between house prices, transport links and security between Sheffield and Chesterfield try;

Dronfield, Eckington, Mosborough, Halfway, Sothall, North Anston, Todwick (pricey) and Harthill :) (lovley)

All are OK, but not outstanding in any particular area.

Avoid Waterthorpe, Woodhouse, Killamarsh, Swallownest, Dinnigton, Hackenthorpe and Handsworth.

(Sorry if this offends anyone who lives there like I do).

Why Swallownest ?

Better transport links than either of your suggestions, lower crime rates & average house prices.

Sure there's one estate to avoid living on but thats just one small part of the area.

Swallownest is ok very much depends on where you end up a few areas to afford just like most places nowadays. It has got bigger over the years and in most places less of a community sprit . I have always lived here for the last 47yrs but travelled a lot . Depends on what you want out of the place.

Sorry, that should read, South Anston as recommended, not North Anston.

Beighton is OK as well. IMHO.

have you lived in all those areas then :suspect:

I have lived in aston/swallownest/dinnington and n. anston

if the op wants any more info on any of these areas I will be happy to give :)

just pm me :)

Why Swallownest ?

Better transport links than either of your suggestions, lower crime rates & average house prices.

Sure there's one estate to avoid living on but thats just one small part of the area.

Yes, sorry, I was being a bit harsh. I have to travel through the 'estate' a fair bit, so it's tainted my thinking. Apologies to all Swallonestians.

South Anston is very good but very pricey (always has been).

North Anston is good, upgrading to very good for the band between the A57 and 'the Baulk' (Ryton Rd), i.e. the 'auld' North Anston. Pricey as well, however not as much as South Anston.

Dinnington, I'd avoid. Some nice 'pockets' here and there (mostly the newer estate near Tesco - note that this has flooded quite badly in the recent past), but still way overpriced for the area.

Swallownest, I'd avoid outright (flamesuit ON :D).

I can't really speak for Kiveton and Killamarsh, as I've never lived there. Visited plenty of times, though, and they seem a bit rougher than the 'A57 corridor'. Handy for Rother Valley Park, though. There's some very nice parts to Kiveton, notably the cul-de-sac on the way up to the cemetary.

You should add Worksop to your list, just as convenient (commute time-wise) as Anston, and definitely more brick for your money than S25. No more or less safer, but more stores, amenities, etc. of course.

Or Woodsetts (between North Anston & Worksop, parallel to A57), if you want the village feel. The infant/primary school is OFSTED-outstanding and fabulous, ours goes there - originally she went to Anston Park in North Anston, which is also OFSTED-outstanding but IMHO not as good for personal development.

Yes, sorry, I was being a bit harsh. I have to travel through the 'estate' a fair bit, so it's tainted my thinking. Apologies to all Swallonestians.

So you only see swallownest has one estate when there is about 10 separate ones. It is 3 villages in one and over the years they have grown into one. There is 3 estate not to live on put not all the estate is the same just :| some parts of them. All villages have parts that you have to be aware of even where you live I bet?

have you lived in all those areas then :suspect:

You dont need to actually live in an area to know it. Just work in and around the area for decades, know dozens of people from all walks of life and of all ages from those places. I think I'm happy with what I know.

It's all subjective anyway. I'm sure lots of people that live on the Manor and Arbourthorne would fight their corner whilst people in Todwick village might say it's not as nice as it used to be...

Archived