Taxis - why are they allowed to use bus lanes?

use bus lanes?

I understand people (usually 1 customer) are paying a taxi to take them out/to work etc. but I'm sat queueing in traffic, taking longer than I should using my fuel.

So why?

+ I don't drive like a complete moron, do u-turns anywhere I feel, park up in the middle of a main road to let people out etc. etc. etc.

because people aren't using/owning their own cars and the less cars there are, the better.

That doesn't really add up though does it, because if there were more people without cars there would be more people using taxis and therefore there would be more demand for taxis, so I don't think that's the answer although a carefully thought out one. Plus taxis can also use them when not carrying a passenger, I would imagine it's probably a contract that taxi firms have with the councils because if taxis had to wait in queuing traffic then people would use buses and taxis wouldn't get the high level of custiom they get now as a taxi in rush hour would take forever to get there and if someone was late for work etc then they'd be better off on the bus.

Sorry Stan I wa quoting what the standard line is, having asked the question before. Sheffield has a lot of taxis compared to other cities (so I am told)

It's ok mate.

Can you tell I drive around the city a lot and often get annoyed by taxis? :)

Archived