Taxis - why are they allowed to use bus lanes?

To obtain license, you have to do English/Maths test (£dunno), knowledge test (c£75), Adv Driving test (c£75), Medical c(£open to competition and ranges from £40-250), Application for license (£210).

Then for PHV is £210 application for 1 year (inc MoT).

To drive it you need taxi insurance, which can range from anything to anything! My last one was £2964/yr. (I can get it for 2,300 now though).

Then you have to have a radio installed to drive it, and it has to be with a company with a PRIVATE HIRE OPERATORS LICENCE... Most firms will provide a radio for about £100/wk. Or you could set up your own for £1200, then £200/yr for 1-2 cars.

Your figures SHY came to £170 a year.

The cost in the first year would actually be £8,160 (not inc fuel+maintenance).

To obtain license, you have to do English/Maths test (£dunno), knowledge test (c£75), Adv Driving test (c£75), Medical c(£open to competition and ranges from £40-250), Application for license (£210).

Then for PHV is £210 application for 1 year (inc MoT).

To drive it you need taxi insurance, which can range from anything to anything! My last one was £2964/yr. (I can get it for 2,300 now though).

Then you have to have a radio installed to drive it, and it has to be with a company with a PRIVATE HIRE OPERATORS LICENCE... Most firms will provide a radio for about £100/wk. Or you could set up your own for £1200, then £200/yr for 1-2 cars.

Your figures SHY came to £170 a year.

The cost in the first year would actually be £8,160 (not inc fuel+maintenance).

I am not sure that any of that is relevant. There are 3 licenses in the PHV business in England : a vehicle licence, a driver’s licence and an operator’s licence.

The operator is the person that accepts bookings and with whom the

customer makes a contract for carriage. The actual services can be

provided either by licensed PHV owners who are also licensed drivers or

by licensed drivers who rent a licensed vehicle. Consequently the

operator may be a different person from the driver.

If you don't intend to actually pick up fares the operators and drivers license would be irrelevant.

When a PHV isn't being used for commerial purposes anyone can drive it, and if they aren't using it as a taxi don't need insurance as a taxi.

In Sheffield you cannot register your car as a taxi and then drive it. Only PHV and Hackney licensed drivers can drive PHV's, even when all the stickers and plate are removed.

But you don't have to be a Sheffield Cabbie to drive a cab in Sheffield. If a taxi driver from Aberdeen got a fare to Sheffield there is nothing to stop him driving into the city. After he has dropped his fare there isn't anything to stop him driving home empty, or for that matter anyone else driving it home if they are insured to drive the vehicle.

I am not sure that any of that is relevant. There are 3 licenses in the PHV business in England : a vehicle licence, a driver’s licence and an operator’s licence.

The operator is the person that accepts bookings and with whom the

customer makes a contract for carriage. The actual services can be

provided either by licensed PHV owners who are also licensed drivers or

by licensed drivers who rent a licensed vehicle. Consequently the

operator may be a different person from the driver.

Much of mine was relevant, e.g. your sums would be absolutely impossible - however, my list/costs could have some cuts to them. None of this post is relevant (unless I've misunderstood you). The bold is 100% obvious, so I don't know why you wrote it.

If you don't intend to actually pick up fares the operators and drivers license would be irrelevant.

When a PHV isn't being used for commerial purposes anyone can drive it, and if they aren't using it as a taxi don't need insurance as a taxi.

This incorrect bold, makes your first sentence wrong. If a PHV isn't insured for taxi usage, then the plate has to be given back to the council until its insurance meets the requirement. Whilst the plate is in the hands of the council, then it's no longer a taxi.

3. (1) At all times the Proprietor shall during the currency of this Licence keep in force in relation to the use of the vehicle as a private hire vehicle a policy of insurance complying with the requirements of Part VI of the Road Traffic Act, 1972.

But you don't have to be a Sheffield Cabbie to drive a cab in Sheffield. If a taxi driver from Aberdeen got a fare to Sheffield there is nothing to stop him driving into the city. After he has dropped his fare there isn't anything to stop him driving home empty, or for that matter anyone else driving it home if they are insured to drive the vehicle.

I'm not sure of the relevance again. If you are saying that someone could go to a place that is easier to register a taxi, and license yourself, then drive in Sheffield BLs, then yes you are right.

Saying that, I think the cameras at bus gates use the Sheffield Licensing database to eliminate vehicles from fining. So you'd probably get fined and have to challenge it, each time.

Archived