Car allowance or company car?

I think your NCB is valid for two years..some ins. cos will accept a company secs. letter stating that you haven't made a claim via the company's insurance whilst you've been driving a comapny car..I have a company car..my wife and I alternate the policy holder on her car so that keeps my NCB up to date..I don't think I could buy and run my company car for the amount of tax it costs me every month..although next year I'm looking to reduce this by having a smaller and cheaper company car..

That is true. As a Company Secretary I used to write many letters for staff to get a No Claims Discount when switching to their own cars. The only Company who would not accept it, nor allow the NCB was Churchill.

That is true. As a Company Secretary I used to write many letters for staff to get a No Claims Discount when switching to their own cars. The only Company who would not accept it, nor allow the NCB was Churchill.

. . . but of course being a part of The Royal Bank of Scotland plc they are above the law. :rolleyes:

I drive a company car - tax is phenomonal and i pay private fuel. However i don;t have to shop around for parts,tax etc i just get it done and i get a new car every 3 years.

Previously i owned a car and claimed a fuel allowance and £100 a month, when the engine blew i had accrued sufficient money above the fuel for the repair but the £100 was insufficient for a hire car and the car payment.

Try Albion contracts in Sheffield for car leasing - excellent service and good prices on leasing. You could lease/purchase where you own the car after a final payment.

Yes I am, so that expense would have to come out of the monthly allowance. What else would come out of the allowance? Car tax? Breakdown cover?

I expect they aren't covered under a lease agreement?

I suppose the pro side of leasing a car is that I'll not be stung for personal tax in the way I will for having a company car, but having to pay for things like insurance kind of negates that.

Tax is included in the lease price as is annual servicing,parts.tyres,exhausts,windscreen etc.

I insured my personal car via Swiftvoer,got business cover free(it was added after i'd instigated my policy) and got Green Flag added for about £2 a month.

Not many months back you could lease Jaguar for £199 - even i'd be willing to pay breakdown cover if i got a Jag as opposed to an Astra.lol

I'm in a position where through my day job I am being offered the choice of a company car or a car allowance.

This site may help you make a decision.

I have usually gone for company cars simply due to the overall benefit (mileage/costs etc). But I guess you got to look at your personal circumstances.

Archived