All discussion around AV here please!

I'm trying to find a full list of results by constituency from 2010, so that we could point out exactly how many seats had a majority of 50% or more and would, indeed, "not be affected in any way." Sadly I can't find one unless I trawl through all 649 seats one by one and tally the results, and I don't really care as much as all that.

According to the data on this site:

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/fs/pnorris/Data/Data.htm

Excluding Northern Ireland and the Speaker's seat, 213 out of 631 seats were won with over 50% of votes cast. That's just over a third.

esme - I would rather continue the campaign for a fully proportional voting system, with those in favour of such a system emphatically rejecting the AV proposal. The momentum is with PR. The spectre of chaos caused by hung parliaments has been laid to rest, even if many don't like what happened instead, and public awareness of the inherent unfairness of FPTP has never been higher.

It may take another generation to make progress, but I believe that a fully proportional system in 30 years would be preferable to AV in 2015.

shortcrust I agree, I want PR and while I certainly don't want AV I want FPTP even less

but there is no way they will give us that choice in the upcoming referendum

my fear is that if the people reject the AV option we are being offered then the MP's will use this as an excuse to deny us change ever again

there's a hard core of MP's that really don't want the system changed at all, they tried to deny us a referendum in the first place and failed, but they managed to get PR removed from the list of options in the process

and yes I was writing letters to MP's begging for PR to be included along with lots of other people at the time, me and my MP have a long history of correspondence, some of which is on the forum

in my opinion, which I admit could be wrong, if we don't say yes to this change they are going to move heaven and earth to make sure we never get another chance

so yes I can understand your fear that AV is a waste, and I even sympathise with that

but it's my belief that saying no will damage the chances of ever getting PR even within 30 years

FPTP/AV/PR are all rubbish.

Best: a two-round vote, as in France.

Round 1. As now- but FPTP applies only if leader has gained > 50%. Otherwise:

Round 2: leader and second placed in a run-off.

Advantage: simple, still allows FPTP in round 2 if not in round 1.

shortcrust I agree, I want PR and while I certainly don't want AV I want FPTP even less

but there is no way they will give us that choice in the upcoming referendum

my fear is that if the people reject the AV option we are being offered then the MP's will use this as an excuse to deny us change ever again

there's a hard core of MP's that really don't want the system changed at all, they tried to deny us a referendum in the first place and failed, but they managed to get PR removed from the list of options in the process

and yes I was writing letters to MP's begging for PR to be included along with lots of other people at the time, me and my MP have a long history of correspondence, some of which is on the forum

in my opinion, which I admit could be wrong, if we don't say yes to this change they are going to move heaven and earth to make sure we never get another chance

so yes I can understand your fear that AV is a waste, and I even sympathise with that

but it's my belief that saying no will damage the chances of ever getting PR even within 30 years

This is very true. For some of us it is a chance in a lifetime to take a step forward to change the way we vote forever.

Archived