All discussion around AV here please!

it's all very well saying we should adopt the french system or some other countries system or we should have PR or something else

we are being offered a choice of FPTP or AV

nothing else

considering or arguing about anything else will not affect the choice we are being offered in the slightest way, however it could confuse the issue for people new to the discussion

so could we please keep this to a discussion of what we are being offered and leave questions of better systems to one side until after the votes have been cast

I've only just started reading up about this. I want my vote in May to be an informed one!

My questions are these: many people have suggested PR. It's used in Europe and seems to work fairly.

How come this wasn't considered by the government when proposing this referendum?

Why do we only get to choose between FPTP and AV?

What are the arguments against PR?

I've only just started reading up about this. I want my vote in May to be an informed one!

My questions are these: many people have suggested PR. It's used in Europe and seems to work fairly.

How come this wasn't considered by the government when proposing this referendum? Why do we only get to choose between FPTP and AV?

Because this was as far as Cameron dared go with his backbenchers, and was just about far enough to buy off Clegg. Simples.

How come this wasn't considered by the government when proposing this referendum?

As sausage dog says, there was a hard core of conservative MP's who would have wrecked the coalition there and then if PR had not been removed from the list of options, they also campaigned long and hard to deny us a referendum at all

The arguments from a Tory point of view against AV is that it would put them out of power for good.They were not going to go for it. As I said before, turkeys dont vote for Christmas.

however as we aren't being offered PR as a choice in the forthcoming referendum, why are we discussing it ?

we can discuss PR or any other alternative you like, after the referendum

because it doesn't matter if PR is a valid choice or not, from any point of view

because we aren't being asked if we want it

we are being asked if we want the first past the post system or the alternative vote system and those are the only choices we have

nothing else is being offered and nothing else will appear on the voting form

Archived