The joys of poverty

Unemployment (the lack of work), breeds an ethic in people to work for each other, in kind or for small amounts of cash to get the odd scrap of food, fuel, tobacco, beer or other narcotic.

This builds communities.

Communities of benefit cheats. This is not a good foundation on which to build a community.

Unemployment (the lack of work), breeds an ethic in people to work for each other, in kind or for small amounts of cash to get the odd scrap of food, fuel, tobacco, beer or other narcotic.

This builds communities.

Funny, I don't remember a great deal of community spirit the last time we had mass unemployment, in the 1980s

Well apart from the Poll Tax riots and the feeling of jubilation when Scraggy Maggy was booted out of office by her own Ha ha ha....

Funny, I don't remember a great deal of community spirit the last time we had mass unemployment in the 1980s

Well apart from the Poll Tax riots and the feeling of jubilation when Scraggy Maggy was booted out of office by her own Ha ha ha....

Err... how about the coal miners strike?

x

Communities of benefit cheats. This is not a good foundation on which to build a community.

It is trade, trade of labour, I specifically said, in times of unemployment.

Why isn't the trade of labour a good foundation upon which to build a community? In your opinion...

It is trade, trade of labour, I specifically said, in times of unemployment.Why isn't the trade of labour a good foundation upon which to build a community? In your opinion...

Trade of labour does not earn money, just a job for a job "in times of unemployment". How would people in this community actually obtain money other than from benefits?

Trade of labour does not earn money, just a job for a job "in times of unemployment". How would people in this community actually obtain money other than from benefits?

It's not about money.

A bit of work, for some money, for some food.

A bit of work, for some food.

A bit of work, for some money, for some beer.

A bit of work, for some beer.

You don't need money.

Especially money in the form of a currency which is fast losing its value.

My fear is that the feeling of helplesness that was felt in the dark ages of Thatcherism are about to return for some years to come. Unless we as a population can be big and strong enough to revolt and kick butt.

For too long we have worshipped money and those who possess it, turning those without it into scroungers, victims or at the very least somehow worthy of contempt.

I long for the days when the working class were a fiery bunch with self discipline, pride, confidence, a fierce sense of right and wrong, and the energy to stand up and do something about it.

Great things were born out of the working class - political activism, universal suffrage, the labour party, and trade unionism to name a few.

Now we all want to think we're middle class - believing our leaders and sitting on our backsides thinking nothing can be done. The underclass are dissolute and dispirited.

Maybe as more and more people join the ranks of the poor and realise that our Government really doesn't give a damm about about them anymore they will find a renewed sense of confidence in their ability to change things.

Nobody else will....

It's not about money.

A bit of work, for some money, for some food.

A bit of work, for some food.

A bit of work, for some money, for some beer.

A bit of work, for some beer.

You don't need money.

Especially money in the form of a currency which is fast losing its value.

Have you ever tried to pay your gas and electric bills with food and beer?

Archived