The joys of poverty

Have you ever tried to pay your gas and electric bills with food and beer?

A bit of work,for some money, for some gas/electric.

A bit of work, for some gas/electric.

Utility companies don't accept labour as payment, hence the need for cash in hand.

Perhaps they should?

Oh I get you now. Yeah, good plan.:thumbsup:

If there wasn't a lack of work, there would not be cash in hand work ;)

If you consider how many men in Sheffield are out of work, and how many hours per year they could work.

You come up with a figure IRO 36 million hours. (40 hours each - no overtime!)

They say there is 1000 hours of skilled labour in building a house. (A respectablly sized 3 bedroom bay windowed house with a 20m^2 garden typical of the 1930s)

Thats 36000 a year.

That's just wasted labour :/

With poverty you have time.

In the pursuit of wealth we can forget value, in particular the value of time. Some of the best things in life really are free, as long as you have the time to appreciate them.

Steve Jobs is said to be worth $5.5bn, but he's not well, rumours are that he's just got weeks to live. If true I bet he would trade his wealth for more time.

With poverty you have time.

In the pursuit of wealth we can forget value, in particular the value of time. Some of the best things in life really are free, as long as you have the time to appreciate them.

Steve Jobs is said to be worth $5.5bn, but he's not well, rumours are that he's just got weeks to live. If true I bet he would trade his wealth for more time.

Many of us on the forum are wealthy in the sense we can go walking to occupy our time, when penniless. And were approaching Summer too :)

If there wasn't a lack of work, there would not be cash in hand work ;)

If you consider how many men in Sheffield are out of work, and how many hours per year they could work.

You come up with a figure IRO 36 million hours. (40 hours each - no overtime!)

They say there is 1000 hours of skilled labour in building a house. (A respectablly sized 3 bedroom bay windowed house with a 20m^2 garden typical of the 1930s)

Thats 36000 a year.

That's just wasted labour :/

That is pretty cool lateral thinking! Respect.:)

Many of us on the forum are wealthy in the sense we can go walking to occupy our time, when penniless. And were approaching Summer too :)

I recently took a job on half the salary as previous to gain more time with the family etc.

It's commonly called a 'mid-life crisis', but if that's what it takes to appreciate a better understanding of the value of time then I would recommend a 'mid-life crisis' to everyone, whatever your age.

:)

I recently took a job on half the salary as previous to gain more time with the family etc.

It's commonly called a 'mid-life crisis', but if that's what it takes to appreciate a better understanding of the value of time then I would recommend a 'mid-life crisis' to everyone, whatever your age.

:)

I would like someone to tell me how much or little money is considered 'poverty'. :huh:

I'm very happy being retired, even with nowhere near the income I had when I was working. We can afford the things we need, yet our joint income is much less than a 'national average' salary.

I don't feel poor. Probably because I enjoy the life I have, where I can choose what I do with most of my time. After 40+ years of work, its a great feeling! I'd imagine you'll feel good as you have chosen to give yourself more family time, rather than put money at the top of your agenda.

I think I've had a late life revelation, rather than a mid life crisis. ;)

Sheffield's the best city for that :)

Check out the ranger events guide (also available from local libraries)

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/parks-woodlands--countryside/ranger-service

x

My fear is that the feeling of helplesness that was felt in the dark ages of Thatcherism are about to return for some years to come. Unless we as a population can be big and strong enough to revolt and kick butt.

The police, and the army if push came to shove, wouldn't let you get close enough to kick the butts of the parasites responsible for the situation.

Considering the hatred that is still enjoyed by Maggie Thatcher I'm surprised that her butt wasn't kicked with a vengeance. Perhaps we're too forgiving ?;)

Archived