Call of duty - Addiction

That is something else i can agree with also, these computer games teach children skills they will rely on in the future, as long as there reasonable.

These games are not easy and take a lot of concentration, stamina, teamplay etc etc.

If it's the right game there playing and doing outdoor stuff just as much it's not such a bad thing sometimes, my 3 year old can turn the laptop on sign on and use google to get cbeebies on bless her, this is 2011.

I totally disagree Corkers. I'm totally serious here by the way. I think interaction with a 'solid' as such, very much like Lego, adds to cognitive growth. Simply pressing buttons is interactive - but not the same as actually building a real true life structure.

Oh yeah I can just see it...so what qualifications have you got ? Erm I know how to complete cod black ops!!

I know the games are hard and my sons surprised me at how computer savvy he can be but....real life skills...I'm not so sure how this particular game helps!

he might grow up to be a computer games designer, this is one industry that will survive any recession.

Reflexes? Maybe.

Intelligence? How?

takes a lot of concentration trying to work out what to do in most of the serious games. You have to really engage and use your brain. Better for developing intelligence than sitting in a class room listening to some teacher rambling on.

takes a lot of concentration trying to work out what to do in most of the serious games. You have to really engage and use your brain. Better for developing intelligence than sitting in a class room listening to some teacher rambling on.

OK, the puzzle solving can be rewarding and useful in some professions, but how will you gain the ability to concentrate on what the teacher is saying when you criticise their input as 'rambling'?

If you needed critical surgery, you'd want the Doctor that paid attention during class, not the absent-minded one whose concentration lapsed halfway through the lesson :)

basically on the ps3 he will interact with people from all over the world. There is a lot of evidence which suggest that video games improve intelligence and reflexes.

I wouldn't ban your son from playing it but find a way to limit the time he spends on it.

I tried that in the early days, I used to go in him room and make him hand them over...it caused a fair few arguments about me not allowing him to be responsible!!

Problem is after that he started borrowing off a friend and playing after I'd gone to bed.

I think at first I was reluctant to take away the console because without it he had no tv in his room, now I realise that thats a privildge anyway and what I thought of as his bolthole was actually isolating him!!

I agree, whilst I don't deny that there can be positive's, if it's getting in the way of his gcse's (concrete evidence) then it counts for nothing at this stage of his life..

Is it just me?!

I supposed to let an otherwise intelligent boy get grappy grades because of a ps3 game!!??

It's a game for chavs anyway. OK, so it was half decent when the United Offensive expansion pack came out but even then it was invaded by hoardes of teeny yanks in their elasticated jeans calling each other Bud and treating it as though it was Doom i.e. running round like a headless chicken non-stop because they can't hit anything more than 2 feet away.

The game is for over 18's

Should a child be playing it?

Me?

Level 45 Prestige 6

indeed. this game deals with madness, conspiracy, mass murder, torture, and has swearing a-plenty...it aint for kids.

there was an interesting programme on bbc recently about gaming addiction, as its a rising concern. its prob on the iplayer somewhere.

Archived