Quick run Ivan's coming

old tup

This brings a memory to me, about 1951 or a little bit earlier a man ( Arnie Thompsonwith a bit of a reduced mental ability set the wheat field on fire, on Pason Cross, because he wanted to be a fireman

Sounds like the bloke we used to call daft Arnie,he used to have a little dog with him,always had a grin on his face,we were frightened to death of him.

Ivan used to travel and watch my husbands Saturday football team every week without fail, the games were just not the same without him. He would always have a lemondade or coke afterwards in the club house. We were very sad when he passed away.

Did Your Husband Play For Oughtibridge?

Ivan's mum got knocked down and killed outside the old Sportsman pub crossing Penistone Road after church at St John's one Sunday night if I remember correctly.

Ivan then went into a home up Sandygate, and used to go in the Ranmoor Inn on occasions.

Right from the first post I wondered if this was the same Ivan who scared the hell out of us kids around Ranmoor in the 70's. Nice to know a little history of him and it saddens me to remember the abuse he got from all the school kids (unfortunately myself included on the odd occasion).

I remember he lived at the Oakbrook View (Ranmoor View?) centre on Fulwood Road although I don't recall ever seeing him in the Ranmoor Inn, unlike the inimitable Gerald, another resident of Oakbrook.

Archived