Quick run Ivan's coming

old tup

Right from the first post I wondered if this was the same Ivan who scared the hell out of us kids around Ranmoor in the 70's. Nice to know a little history of him and it saddens me to remember the abuse he got from all the school kids (unfortunately myself included on the odd occasion).

I remember he lived at the Oakbrook View (Ranmoor View?) centre on Fulwood Road although I don't recall ever seeing him in the Ranmoor Inn, unlike the inimitable Gerald, another resident of Oakbrook.

I think with his football conections and description this was the guy who would sit on a bench with a smaller guy from Oakbrook view, watching us playing football in Whitley woods, late 60's, early 70's, we were allways a bit concerned as our parents would tell us not to talk to strangers and these guys were a bit creapy. Ivan, reminded me of George, from the book 'of mice and men'

Ivan used to ring the bell at Owlerton Church. His mother was killed on her way to church. Ivan was kept inside untill a relative could be brought and then the vicar broke the news to him.

That was around 1973 I think he went to live with an aunt in worral before moving to the Towers at Crosspool. As a child he scared me witless but in fact was agentle giant.

I remember Ivan as an old fella based at Middlewood Hospital. As you say, he was harmless but a bit scary if you weren't familiar with him. They had him collecting empty glasses at the social club bar and he often collected those that were half full and had been left for a second or two. Whatever happened to him ? That would be mid 80s.

• 8 months later...
Ivan lived in the owlerton area, is dad was called Albert they delivered papers round Worrall for a number of years. He supported Worrall F.C. and was the unoficail linesman god help you if steped on to the pitch,he then went to watch Oughtibridge uncle Dereck and uncle Ralph looked after him for many years.

Uncle Derek is my Husbands Grandad, we hear stories of Ivan all the time.

He used to visit Derek's house at least 3 times a week, was always there at meal time and went to all the football matches with him!

One Saturday night when my husband was a little lad he was staying with his Grandad when they became more or less snowed in. Ivan was always expected on a Saturday night.

Derek phoned Ivan's care home and asked them to keep him in due to the bad weather, but he hated not being with Derek so they had to take his shoes so he couldn't leave.

Within an hour he was at Derek's house after stealing another patients shoes and sneaking out! :hihi:

Derek would put him on the bus home at 8pm as he had to be back for 9 and wave him off. Ivan would get off at the next stop and go to the pub then the home would phone up to find out where he was.

Didn't his mum and dad own a paper shop at worral at some point?

Just to put the record straight, are we talking about Ivan the gravedigger who lived in Owlerton Green with his Mum and Dad?

If so, his dad was a Chimney Sweep and travelled about on a motor bike with a sidecar platform with a box which held all his brushes and tools.

Happy Days! PopT

Archived