Quick run Ivan's coming

old tup

Is Ivan still alive. He used to come to the **** in Oughtibridge about about 9 or ten years ago. He didn't drink much but we used to take him across the road to get his bus.

He lived in some home but said he like to come back to the area he was used to.

• 1 month later...
Back in the 50s there used to be a bloke in our area called Ivan;he was a little backwards he was a big man ;he had a bright red face a bit distorted and he had a stumbling gait.He used to do odd jobs;gravedigging and the dog track used him to patrol the fence down Liversey St ;our stomping ground,Anyhow we were **** scared of him.One night we were up to our usual mischief getting into the dogs for nowt ;we were under the fence on our way in when one of my merry men shouts[quick Ivans coming run]We bolted for the hole in the fence;he was running round bellowing like a bull.It was like a scene from a movie when the sub is sinking and everyones fighting to get out.We just made it ;Seb Coe couldnt have caught us.Christ he was scary but he harmed no one.Back in the war dad was on the guns and rockets on Parkwood;in the early hours he was sneaking down to see my ma who was pregnant with me.He was halfway through Wardsend Cemetery he could hear a scraping as it was getting louder suddenly a head came out of the ground[Have you got the time mester].It was Ivan .Dad took off like a bat out of hell nearly crapping himself.:roll::o

Wow! reading this sent a shiver down my spine when I was little early seventies we lived in Elm Terrace which was behind the old car wreckers at Owlerton Green in the yard opposite ours lived an old lady called Mrs Taylor and her son Ivan who used to babysit me and my brother this has to be the Ivan some of you are referring to as he was indeed a gentle giant with some obvious learning difficulties ,when we were 5 we moved to Walkley and I didn't know what happened to them until my late teens when I was seeing a nurse from Ranfall when I bumped into Ivan at the crossing near Ranmoor church he was indeed a resident of some sort of hostel there but the strangest thing is whilst I recognised him from my my childhood he actually knew me and remembered all my family despite the fact I had been about 5 when I last had seen him! Its true what they say Sheffield is really just a big village:)

Ivan used to deliver the Sunday papers in the Worrall area of Sheffield, he would board the 65 bus at Dykes Hall Road bottom with a really old pram which carried his papers and off we would go, Ivan was always polite and ALWAYS called his Mum 'Mummy'
Barry Couldwell mentions Ivan delivering papers in Worrall in his book "Wiggy's Wesher Man" ... Newspapers were brought to the village from Owlerton by a Mr Albert Taylor and his wife and their son Ivan. They always travelled in a motorbike and sidecar ... Ivan was a bit backward but he took a few Stars round. He always finished his round at Jack Shepherd's farm where he'd like to try to help... Once we sent him into the hay loft and we took the ladder down. Ivan was going berserk. Eventually someone put the ladder back and let him get down. We avoided him for weeks!
Is Ivan still alive...
I didn't know Ivan but public records show that an Ivan Taylor was born in Sheffield on 29 June 1926, and died aged 71 in Sheffield in October 1997. This seems likely to be the right person as his mother's maiden name is given in the index as Hennell, and an Albert E.C. Taylor married a Rosalie Hennell in Sheffield in 1926.

Archived